New to the Forum/New to the XS

vtwinsrgood

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have been lurking for the last few weeks, but finally signed up.
Picked up my first XS last weekend.

No idea what I may have in the garage, but its only had one owner since new and sat for the last 4yrs in his garage.
Price was right too :p
Cheers
VT

Welcome,

Tech menu and the Google search, (top left), are your friends, not much can't be found that will cover all the probabilities to repair and restore your 77, (if a rest mod or restore is what you want).

This link will help you identify the bike and has links throughout to learn the basics about the XS650.

Other links to help get started.

All these and more are in the tech Menu.

You have a nice bike for a start into the XS650 world.

Thanks folks,
Looking forward to working at it.
Been playing around with styles in an el cheapo drawing program.
but the running gear/handling/etc will be priority.
It will be my daily escape from work!

Thanks folks,
Looking forward to working at it.
Been playing around with styles in an el cheapo drawing program.
but the running gear/handling/etc will be priority.
It will be my daily escape from work!

Looks good on a trailer in the snow, can only get better. Welcome to the forum. Sound suggestions from 650Skull, as he says it's all here.
Yamimoto

Yes looks like a great place to start from!

full

For the viewers convenience...

My "contribution" is to suggest you go slow, read up on everything skull posted. Enthusiasm has done much more damage than treachery, and runs a close tie with neglect!
Work with forethought and an eye to the long haul life of the bike, resist that "gotta hear it run" impulse. It will run and run well if you do the "full monty" of wake up procedures. Skip proper techniques and it can come to a $creeching halt.

Thanks gggGary. Good advice!!
I have had the historical tendency to do such things, and my friends(mostly bikers) have scorned/condoned me for getting ahead of myself.
Now, I HAVE to be patient. I have parts galore for my RD350 because of such blunders and it still isn't street legal!

Yes, you can spend much more than you need to by buying incorrect parts. These bikes were produced for nearly 15 years and there were some big changes along the way. Your '77 was a change-over year of sorts. It was the first year for the improved 35mm forks and the new style disc and caliper, 2nd year with a linked carb set.

I threw a few more photos up of the XS. Looking forward to it, but REALLY looking forward to this damn snow stopping!
Its spring now! :(

Back