new to the sx is the point style ignition reliable??

wes135145

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can I keep the point style or does it need replaced with an electronic system? Also can someone direct me to a forum on setting the points ect.

Can I keep the point style or does it need replaced with an electronic system? Also can someone direct me to a forum on setting the points ect.

Hi wes,
points ignition is as reliable as a stone axe.
It just needs understanding and maintenance to keep it that way because it can die of neglect.
Search the tech tips for ignition maintenance to see how to set the points and do all the other little tasks that will keep your sparks fat and happy.

Very reliable by 1960's standards an era when a motorcycle that had traveled 20,000 miles was marveled at. They produce a marginal spark with original components especially for starting. Like RD says all new components, the points assemblies wear out making them even MORE erratic than they were new, the coils weren't much more than feeble when new.

Where I am headed; if you want a hop on, hit the button and go bike an electronic ignition will cost in the same neighborhood as all new points stuff and be much more accurate, especially if you go with electronic advance. Yes I have and run both on XS650's The difference in timing accuracy (seen with a timing light) is "significant". Spark strength at kick over speed with the starter dragging down the battery? Guess which I prefer?

The points adjustment procedure is in your repair manual. If you don't have one, get one. You will find it the most used and most valuable tool in your tool box.
Oh the points timing is in there too.
Leo

You can work on, and fix, any problems that might crop up with points, no matter where you are or when it happens. And for damn little money. Not true with an electronic system unless you carry around very expensive replacement parts. Our 650's run perfectly fine on the points.

Can u tell me how to time this bike I tried tech tab didn't make much sense and no good instructions

Back