newbie question

stinky78

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi al! I just signed up as I have been lurking for a while and thought I should join in the fun, I have a 1977 in roughish but fairly original condition, I have decided to put a PM alternator in it and understand how it is wired but,,,,,, here’s where the newb bit comes in, when I remove the old rectifier and regulator what happens with the old wiring? can I just leave the connector blocks hanging there or is there more to it than that? I had a look through some threads on fitting them and read the instructions on pamco site and mikes which are the same, can anyone shed some light?

Welcome stinky78.................Pamco site doesn't have any instructions for a PMA, so Mikes instructions couldn't be the same..................What did you buy????.......

Most here are running and repairing the original Charging systems. They are reliable and work well......

On Factory Charging system replacement aftermarket parts, there are problems with some sellers so questions should be asked before buying any products, ..PMA, as well............the experiences and information from the regular posters on here is invaluable and real. .............

thanks for the welcome, Sorry I meant the hughs hanbuilt intstructions are basically the same as mikes (been doing to much interwebreading) I sort of like the PMA option it’s simplicity appeals to me, I think because my other bike is an SR500, different ignittion system but kinda basic, maybe says something about me? I’m not sure which kit to get or if I should get the parts together myself, any good or bad with hughs vs mikes.?

While I wouldn't buy either you will probaby get better customer service from HHB.
If you are going to spend that much you might look at the PowerDynamo system. Contact Gary Hoos about them.

stinky78. Welcome. The original block connector at the original alternator has Sky Blue wires which connect the neutral switch to the neutral light. Unless you are ok without a neutral light you will want to reconnect those wires by adding bullet or spade connectors. There is a yellow wire that connects the original alternator to the safety relay. I have no idea what disconnecting that will affect so hopefully another member can help. Other than that leaving the original connectors unconnected should be ok.

thanks for all the help! the neutal light sounds easy, I think I read somewhere about splicing a wire into one from the reg/rec.

Is your bike a US import of Aussie model??

If you haven't bought the PMA, run a volt meter over the charging system first to see what works and doesn't. If you do change to a PMA and know the condition of the Charging system it will give it a better value if sold to fund an alternative.

it’s a US model, I am in the states at the moment and bought it to get around on, and it has sort of grown on me, so big softy that I am I’m gonna take it home with me in a couple of months, the charging system is not really keeping up, I’ve been trickle charging it when not in use, when I had someone check it with a mulimetre it was only putting out about 11.3 volts at idle and I think it was 12.1 at 3k, I know I could replace whatever original parts need replacing to get it working, but then the rest of the charging system would still be 41 years old.

Back