newbie xs 6-fiddy chop

20190322_003400.jpg
update, its been about 9 years and still collecting dust

....and so, another beautiful old bike has been transformed into a f@cked up unrideable mess that is simply neglected and collecting dust.

Nice!
Hahahaha i believe it was time well spent, but then again i could have spent that time trolling the internet for things i didnt like. cheer up, and look at the bright side of life! Good luck! ✌✌

....and so, another beautiful old bike has been transformed into a f@cked up unrideable mess that is simply neglected and collecting dust.

Nice!

have a cup of coffee and chill...........

9 years ago when this thread was first started every man and his dog, would tell every man and his dog who would listen, that specials were dog shit and only good for cutting up.............In fact that was what was advised to any one thinking of making a chopper/bobber..........buy a special no one wants them they are ugly

have a cup of coffee and chill...........

9 years ago when this thread was first started every man and his dog, would tell every man and his dog who would listen, that specials were dog shit and only good for cutting up.............In fact that was what was advised to any one thinking of making a chopper/bobber..........buy a special no one wants them they are ugly

Thus why original stock/unmolested bikes are getting more difficult to find.

Thus why original stock/unmolested bikes are getting more difficult to find.

True........

The point i am making, or queering is, why get bent out of shape over a bike that was chopped 9 years ago when the whole XS thing was so totally different........

Sluginxlt, posting after such a long time away, Has the bug to finish it been reactivated??

I was the lone VCIW saying the Specials are less ugly than the Standards. Standards are dainty. Plus dozens of practical small mechanical improvements over the years culminate in the Special. F****ers shoulda listened. Main problem actually was that it was a cheapie for a first chop which would naturally suck.

Don't know about that..............I have always voiced the 78/79/80G Specials were my favorite specials. I own an 83 Heritage, (mag wheel model), and an 80SG........There are guys who own Specials now who used to push the Specials are only good for the axe, but hey we can all change our mind and when you look at the site today we are lucky to get one new member every 3 weeks to a month............back in those early days we were getting several a day, it is only in the last couple or three years it has really tapered off.........

Don't know about that..............I have always voiced the 78/79/80G Specials were my favorite specials. I own an 83 Heritage, (mag wheel model), and an 80SG........There are guys who own Specials now who used to push the Specials are only good for the axe, but hey we can all change our mind and when you look at the site today we are lucky to get one new member every 3 weeks to a month............back in those early days we were getting several a day, it is only in the last couple or three years it has really tapered off.........
On the bright side, the trackers and scramblers are becoming popular again so every moon faced wannabe moto enthusiast (myself included) is chomping at the bit to restore these old barn beasts, and we don’t have to touch the frames! Haha :cheers:

I read there's been a steady decrease in mc interest (in the US) since about 2008, when it had a recent peak, and which was when I got involved. That, plus ten years has been a long time in internet time. Every possible question about the xs has been answered here and elsewhere multiple times and there's less reason to join up and ask your question than to just google through it and get your answer.

Everyone has there likes and dislikes. Plus everyone does not have the skill to build . So if you look at that bike there was some skill in the build and got to give credit on that. In 1980 in the Philly area you couldn't give away a xs650 . The were not a bike that people were into. KZ 900 /1000 GS1000/1100 Honda CB750/1100 were the bikes and I use to take in many XS650 on trades for those bikes. I owned a Honda Dealership. Most of those bikes that I took on trade ended up at the scraper because they took up space and space was money. Now they are not around as much as the others and there value is still lower than the others. I buy them any chance I can get a good deal on one because I am one of those horrible people that cut them up to chop bob café them. To me if you are a person who wants to restore to factory stock that's cool but I have sold over 50 XS650 choppers in the last 10 years and even retired I get calls can you build me a bike. So my point is don't knock some ones build 10 years ago 2 years ago or yesterday for what there vision was. Without all types of builders this site would be like most of those other sites that talk about what color gloves they bought or what mirrors they changed on there bikes. THIS SITE HAS BUILDERS and INFORMATION PEOPLE who have done it not dreamed it in there head.

I read there's been a steady decrease in mc interest (in the US) since about 2008, when it had a recent peak, and which was when I got involved. That, plus ten years has been a long time in internet time. Every possible question about the xs has been answered here and elsewhere multiple times and there's less reason to join up and ask your question than to just google through it and get your answer.
Yeah that makes sense, few have the income/time to throw at projects (some, like me, have neither!) but I think as long as there are folks who want to learn, and folks who want to teach, this site will continue to thrive and be an invaluable resource to the community. Fingers crossed, right?

Back