no spark on the right cylinder

340frontporch

Grandpa Butterfly
Reaction score
getting plenty of boom on the left cylinder, but none on the right... tried putting a new condenser on, new coil. no help. swapped the plug wires still nothing. didn't bother swapping plugs as i had a timing light on that cylinder and was getting no light. i'm beyond frustrated. even if my timing was way off, i should still get light when the points connect...? anyone with suggestions? i'm not even worrying right now if i'm low on compression for that cylinder as that shouldn't stop me from getting spark to the plug (unless i'm way off, which i don't think i am). holy crap am i frustrated. the only thing i can think to do that i haven't is hit the actual points with some 600 grit sandpaper to see if that'll clean junk i can't see off?
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

A points file works better.
Take a white business card, moisten with electrical contact cleaner. Close the points on the card, pull out. repeat till the card comes out clean.
Check for shorts from the points wires to ground.
Have you tried new points?

clip a meter or test light on the points look for opening and closing as you turn the engine.

Have you tried spraying a bit of ether (starting fluid) at the air filter on the right cylinder with the engine running? If it "picks up", you've found the problem. Give it a try....Wesley

Back