Oil Filters Change and Pricing

Quinn_McLeod

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I suppose I'm not the first to ask this. Where is the best/cheapest place to get oil filters? I'm wanting to change the oil on my '81 XS650 and from what I've seen, the cost of the two filters (main and sump) plus cost of oil, it's like a $70 job. That can't be right. Is it? Where else can you get the filters without paying $35plus from MikesXS?

First, they're not filters, they're screens.

Second, they don't need to be replaced unless they're torn. Just clean them with mineral spirits and pop 'em back on with fresh gaskets.

Third, even if they're torn, they can be repaired to prevent re-tearing due to a poor design.

Yes, there's no need to replace them, just clean and re-use. However, a spare of each is nice to have. Then you can have those clean and ready to swap in at oil changes. Better yet is a spare sump plate as well. Then you can have a bottom filter "assembly" all clean and ready to swap in. Watch eBay, you can usually score a sump plate with a torn filter still attached for around $20. Patch 'er up and you're good to go.

Wow! Thanks guys. That's a huge relief. I can clean and reinstall. Good to know. Thanks so much. Glad I asked before biting the bullet and purchasing what I thought I needed.

It's very likely you will find your bottom filter torn. It's quite common. Most of us believe this is due to running the motor too fast and hard after first starting while the oil is still cold and thick. The oil pressure is too high and that ruptures the filter. It's best to run the bike easy (gentle acceleration) and keep the RPMs down (maybe 4K or below) until the oil has a chance to warm up some.

The sump filter always tears in the same spot. This is the area that juts out near the right end. This is right next to the oil feed hole on the mounting plate so oil pressure is probably stronger here than through the rest of the filter. The way the filter is constructed in this area is also weaker than how it's made everywhere else. Obviously, this is a bad combination. You may have noticed looking at the aftermarket replacements that they claim to be improved and reinforced. Well, they are, but everywhere BUT that weak section. As a result, they blow out just the same as an original. For this reason, I don't buy these "improved" replacements any more, I just patch old originals.

For patching, we use JB Weld. If the screen is still there, just torn, it makes an excellent backing support for the epoxy. The repair is very strong. If the screen is missing, a sheet metal patch will need to be fabbed up and JB Welded into place .....

SumpFilters.jpg

FilterPatch.jpg

FilterPatch4.jpg

Back