Oil Leak?

Reaction score
Hi guys, new here. Just bought a 1983Yamaha 650 Heritage Special and there is a oil leak right under the clutch side, I'm thinking gasket, not sure what to order, any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
The clutch lever and cable are on the left side, but the actual clutch is on the right side. You need to confirm which side your leak is on. Just say left or right side.

You can just about bet that it is your clutch push rod oil seal. Google it, this is extremely common, and there is lots of info on it.

The other likely possibility is a loose sprocket nut -- if that nut is loose, it allows the seal behind it to leak. You have to take this nut off anyway when you replace your clutch pushrod oil seal, so you can properly tighten it when you put it back on.

Hard to replace? There is tons of info on this, so I'm not going to repeat it. Google it and decide for yourself if it's hard to replace.
Don't waste your time on pics unless you hit a snag. We have all already seen leaking push rod seals.

Another equally likely thing is a gear cover thats low and to the rear under the left case cover. A vertical plate with about 6-8 10mm bolt heads. Make sure none are loose.

Clean everything under the cover, do the maintenance and set the the clutch push rod cam. watch for the ball bearing falling out of the cam assembly.
An 82 will not start with the side stand down. Lube the clutch cable too.

Thanks gggGary, I have that manual, my trouble is that I'm new at this, rode motorcycles when I was young, but never owned one. This is my first. want to change oil, but which bolt is the oil (I know stupid question). and I have grease fittings on both sides, what are they for?

Attachments

• IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 333
Both the big 27mm bolts are oil drains the front one is on the sump cover which should be removed to check/repair/replace the torn sump screen. The two grease fittings lube the swing arm pivot. Check for side to side slop of the rear wheel with the bike on the center stand which would indicate the previous owners didn't grease the pivot.

Perhaps buying a clymers manual will help with routine maintenance.

I'll post pic's, what is funny is first started motorcycle up, had good bit of oil dripping, check oil and added some, start it up again and it wouldn't drip any oil??? Looking a pic it seems to be dripping behind the starter gear case.

Back