Oil Leak?

Can't tell much with that pic. I would recommend a good cleaning of the area. Once good and clean take the bike for a ride. Ride about 25 miles, Take a pic. Ride another 25 miles, take a pic.
Once you get a few miles you will see where the oil is coming from.
Leo

You say you want to do the work on the bike. Start by learning how to clean it. If someone brought that to me, I wouldn't even touch it. If they insisted, I'd charge them double.

Ok guys all cleaned up :thumbsup:and doesn't seemed to be leaking:shrug: I got to get a new battery this week and I'll be on the road:bike: I'll keep a eye on that area and the oil, still taking rust off my muffler and doing some detail work.

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0443.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 268
Good check is to go for a slow 5 minute ride and then start looking for the leak.

Too fast and or too long a ride and the oil gets everywhere making it impossible to trace.

I am going to guess you have not removed the LH side cover yet?
Somewhere along here we have to ask what are your intentions with this bike.
Just "make it run"?
Get everything about the bike working correctly?
Somewhere in between those two is the norm.

Oil leaks are common and the source may surprise you, that oil dripping off the kick stand could be from a cam seal or head gasket leak, it's happened to me.

search head stud retorque on the forum.

good point Gary .! we haven't established for sure yet that the oil is leaking from the crankcase cover have we ? it could be coming from anywhere.
A new cover gasket is very cheap and removing the right cover will allow you to check everything properly.

As far as I can see there are 7x potential oil leak sources on the right side.
2x acorn crankcase nuts with copper washers. The clutch pushrod oil seal. The selector shaft oil seal . The crankshaft oil seal . The starter gear cover gasket and lastly the tiny aluminium or rubber bung in the end of the gear selector fork shaft bushing.

if the leak was from from under the right cover you might expect the chain etc to be smothered in oil ?

Don't forget to change the clutch pushrod bearing if you renew the associated oil seal .

The big seal in the case that the starter mounts into can be a horrendous leaker. Mine was when I got it. I had to keep newspaper under the bike and it wasn't even running yet, lol.

Still leaking, right under the starter gear case, and did notice oil on the end of the shift shaft, but not dripping there, right where it slides on. should I take the left cover off? I want to get this leak fix.

well it seems to me that you still haven't definitively determined where the leak is coming from ?

Why don't you get it thoroughly steam cleaned or pressure washed then use a mirror on the floor and a good lamp and check everything thoroughly ?

It could be coming from the drain plugs, the starter motor oil seal ,the oil filter plate anywhere.

At the end of the day it won't hurt to take the left side cover off and give all those items I listed a check over .:wink2:

don't worry there is nothing at all scary under that cover.! its real easy to remove and replace with a new gasket . We'll be here at every step with advice and pictures /video

There's no oil under that left cover. The gasket used is to keep water out of the alternator area. Yes, you should pull the cover off. That's the only way you'll be able to pinpoint the leak. As mentioned, it could be as simple as a loose sprocket nut. They leak terribly is that nut loosens up. Here's an exploded parts diagram. Bookmark this site and use it as a reference. The exploded diagrams are very helpful when taking thing apart and reassembling them .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1982/XS650SJ/CRANKCASE COVER 1/parts.html

My motorcycle buddy check it out today and thinks it is the sump plate leaking, he suggest for me to buy the whole gasket kit and do it right, that's what I'm going to do. About the cheapest kit I found was $45.00.

why do you want the whole gasket kit ? thats for an entire engine rebuild, top and bottom.
If you are intending to rebuild the complete engine you are also going to need a complete oil seal set ,about 13x oil seals and a whole lot of other stuff.!

You just need the sump gasket.... about $4.50 http://www.mikesxs.net/product/18-0858.html

if you put some gasket cement on the plate before you fit the gasket it will be easier to refit the next time you take the filter plate off.

Be prepared to need a new oil filter ,the gauze is invariably damaged .$43.00
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/15-6500.html

If you plan on keeping the bike for some time, the full gasket set isn't a bad investment. You will use just about everything in there eventually and it's cheaper buying the gaskets as a kit than individually. You will need more sump plate and drain plug gaskets eventually. I always tack a couple on my parts orders or have buddies grab me some when they place orders. A few of us usually band together and try to get the order big enough for the free shipping. I'd rather spend that money on parts than shipping fees.

I don't recommend any sealer on the sump plate gasket. Getting it off next time could be a S.O.B. I just oil mine. That makes it cling so install is pretty easy and it makes it come off easy at the next oil change so it can be re-used. You can usually get several changes before the gasket is shot and needs replacing.

Back