Oil.. yes.. Another Oil ?

Eckl

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read a million different things on which oil to use. But no clear cut answer. Can someone list what they're using in simple terms?

Thanks!!

In the summer, 20w-50, name brand, not synthetic. Winter, Shell Rotella 15w40 diesel. Change every 1000 mi (use trip counter to keep track).

oil, quart bottles, or gallons, whats on sale. XJMWX How can my trip counter do both fuel gauge and oil change duties?
Eckl what oil won't matter that much til there is an engine in that roller.

use motorcycle specific oil. i use rotella t-6, change every spring, and again in the fall. i live in a mild climate, so i ride it year round.

Any good 20w50 or 15w40 with a JASO MA rating. A JASO MA Rating means it has been wet clutch tested and approved.

I use 20w50 valvoline motorcycle oil but found that in the colder weather (fall or early spring) I have clutch issues until the engine warms up

I started using Shell Rotella T in my Harley-Davidson Superglide in 1979 because all the other oils I tried-- all name brands-- foamed in the oil tank. I was already running Rotella T in the tractor-trailers I drove and had never had a problem even though diesels run far hotter than motorcycles.

I tried synthetics and while I've no doubt they're great for engines they caused my clutches to slip.

So I'm back to Rotella T in all my bikes and have never had an oil related failure in any of my bikes or trucks.

I use Shell Rotella 15w40 diesel oil in my 78 XS650, 96 Vulcan Classic, 04 Triumph bonnie, 68 Triumph T100, 05 Kawy Z750S. I buy the oil from Shell directly, about $3.30 a litre, 12 litres a time. I am in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am thinking about putting Rotella T6 in the Z750S

Lawrence
Canada

hi guys,,,about 8 years ago i had a stuffed gs1000 motor ,,,it ran like a charf cutter... you could not stay in the garage with it coughing and carrying on,,, i picked up 4litres of shell sx4 sythetic fortified put it in the gs1000,, and 5 mins later no smoke .....so no all i ever use is shell sx4 20-50,,, also its not a pure syth.. oil so if you caught in a small town and low on oil.. you can put a good mineral oil in to get you home without stuffing your motor.. there are other good brands of fortified oils that you can use as well hope this helps you regards oldbiker

I drain the oil from my Shovelhead and put it in the xs. Works good and saves money

Posted via Mobile

Back