Old Brown

Good call 2M. Just ordered this. Looks about the right size.
voltmeter.jpg

Well if I didn't enough to worry about what with global warming or cooling, lightening ,fracking, Putin, the yellow menace and the fear of a satellite falling on my head, now i'm under attack by my alternator rotor. My first thought was the the rectifier would prevent reversed polarity but looking at 2m's schematic realized the brown wire is isolated from the the rectifier when the key is off. The winding on the stator carries a large inductance and that charge would have to go somewhere. Who would of thunk. Ordered a bag of diodes.

Last edited:
Let us know if the voltmeter works out. I didn't have any luck trying to fit the sealed unit I used to that Special center pod. The numbers don't show through the frosted lens very well at all. Also, the oval lens shape tends to cut into the numbers some. I ended up going with an external separate mount .....

jz4WxBI.jpg

Met up with 2M at Buzzie’s BBQ. Buzzie it seems is famous on TV channels I don’t get on my antenna. Got to examine his XS with the cool goodies. One thing I can tell you is the clutch pull is fabulous. Have lots of thread reading on how he did it. He even brought me diodes to solve the rotor emf. Great afternoon hanger flying and philosophy. 2M has photos to prove it happened.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, a ton of boxes are turning up My shiny new tank and tins. Mini fuel filters. Yamaha called ,went and picked up the acorn nuts and washers for the footpegs. Just found out the XS400 gauge pack will be here Friday.

I was worried about paying for all this. Monday my somewhat former employer called. They had a big mess that they needed cleaning up. Looks like the tank and gauges will be paid for by next week. Yea.

Hopefully by springtime Old Brown will be roadworthy and we can take a ride up to Coopers in LLano. Love that ride up past Enchanted Rock.

My kitchen is decorated in early motorcycle right now , very understanding wife. Hoping to get into the barn today after I get home. Tomorrow is the last night of regular season football. Got a call from the publisher of the other paper to shoot for her also. Nice to get paid twice for the same game. Glad now that I pulled the trigger for the shiny objects for Old Brown. About to get cold again here so I want to try and get as much done out in the barn as I can.

My kitchen is decorated in early motorcycle right now , very understanding wife.

So was my wife until I baked some cylinders in her oven ( 3 times :D ) and smoked up the house! Now I’m banished to my garage! :laugh2: She didn’t like me rebuilding carburetors on her kitchen counters either. ( But honey it was cold out in the garage ). I guess guys are just wired differently than women. Haha! :lmao:

Your new tins look great, I can’t wait to see your bike come together!

So was my wife until I baked some cylinders in her oven ( 3 times :D ) and smoked up the house! Now I’m banished to my garage! :laugh2: She didn’t like me rebuilding carburetors on her kitchen counters either. ( But honey it was cold out in the garage ). I guess guys are just wired differently than women. Haha! :lmao:

Hi Mailman,
I got the stern glare when I pushed the non-starting snowblower into the kitchen so I could get it running without freezing my fingers off.
When I offered the alternative of her shovelling the drive clear of snow she made me a coffee and fetched a floor mop.

Was gonna put in the new main jets I got in the mail here in kitchen because it's forecast to be cold for the next few days. I'm reconsidering . Don't want to press my luck. Maybe soldering up some connecters for the TCI box I want to try. Maybe that's not such a good idea ether. Working on plan C.

Finally warmed up enough to spend time in the barn. Test fitted the xs400 instrument pod. The spacing on the upper triple mounts is different of course. Time to do a little fabbing. The new tank looks great on the bike. Waiting on new gas cap and deciding what to do about petcocks.

Finally a nice fall day. Spent time in the barn cleaning the workbench to make room to work on the carbs.

Discovered a few weeks ago that the carbs from the 78 are actually 76-77 carbs. When I cleaned the carbs I just cleaned the mains and reinstalled them. Had 135 mains correct for a 78.

Once I discovered the swapped carbs , the 135 mains were quit a jump from 122.5 stock for the earlier carbs.

Installed 130 jets. Hoping this will cure the stumbling. Should be about right for pods and 2 into 1's

Checked fork clearance on the new tank. All good.

The gauge mounts on the XJ triple trees are narrower than the the 650 and 400 gauges.
Fabbing and polishing to follow I guess.

gauge mount close up.JPG

Back