Thanks Paul!

Hawkeye gggGary got it! Just a reflection.

There it is moved under the 'H'....lol.

IMG_20180520_152646.jpg

Well done, robinc.
I really enjoyed your video, sums it up nicely.

Spent the evening reviewing this year-long epic thread. You've ground out numerous foibles, and come a long way. And, discovered some very useful tidbits on carb rebuilding with your carboholics friends. What is really noteworthy is your meticulous attention to detail and the intelligent, informative responses to other members' postings. I salute you, sir.

This thread will definitely be referenced in future discussions...

Thank you 2M!
I really appreciate your kinds words and compliments.

If some of what I have done will benefit others, that's great.
I'm happy to be able to give something back here as I have certainly received more than I will ever be able to return.

Once again, Thank You for toughing it out with me!

Be well,

Robin

Lil’ update.

Just edited my slideshow video from a couple day ago, here:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/on-the-road-again-at-40-the-bike-that-is.49360/page-46#post-550214

Wanted to include further info on the recent new product announcements from 2M Industries.
This was missed amidst the excitement of the moment.
At about the 4:45 and 5:04 points if you don’t want to suffer through the entire thing.

My apologies to the Big Kahuna at Corporate Headquarters in Fredericksburg for this slip up. :bow2:

Was doing a small deck repair job today and the client asked me,
“How would you like to be paid?”

I said,
“Money'd be good, unless you happen to have any Yamaha XS650 motorcycle parts kickin’ around.” :laugh2:

Last edited:
Ah, :doh:. Thanks Jim. Forgot after checking to change from 'Private' to 'Public'. Let me know if all's good now.
Thanks bud.

So here we are, earlier today. Right back in the same spot where she introduced herself on May 16, 2017. Ready to head out on her 2nd maiden voyage.

IMG_20180525_134657.jpg

And, safely home, feelin’ a little better about herself now.

IMG_20180525_160746.jpg

Made a stop at Wolfeworx where Terry did her surgery to show the boys there. Terry said she sounds real good!

IMG_20180525_151138.jpg

Man is it smooth! You’d almost think it's a new motor or sumthin’!
Have to finesse the clutch adjustment a bit. Occasional trouble finding neutral which was not a problem before. Maybe that new long push rod has thrown things off a whisker?
I haven't done anything to the carbs since last fall as they were dialed in just fine.I didn't want to have it sitting too long idling while I adjusted them. Need to spend some time there though, Getting the occasional bit of popping on decel on the right (holed muffler) side. Not frequent so maybe I'll just run them for a bit and see what happens.
Now that it's had a run, need to put a timing light on and see exactly where we're at there as well.

Also, nice ride with those new shocks. I'm not going down the road looking like a yo-yo anymore. We'll, not bouncing like one anymore anyways.

I’ll keep checking the head bolt torque, doing oil changes, etc.

Looks like my neighbours will be upset with me this summer gggGary, gonna have more mosquitoes in the neighborhood.

REFLECTING ON THE PAST TWO YEARS…………....TWO YEARS!!!!!!

732 1/2 days later, she's back on the road again………...again.
I know we're never really 'done’ with these old girls but I think it's safe to say I'm adding words to the final chapter of this story.
I'm just sitting here now thinking back on the last 24 months.

On May 23, 2016, I decided to roll it back into the shop, change the oil, do a tune up, clean her up a bit and was thinking of selling it.
As I said a year ago: After petting it for a couple of weeks I couldn't bring myself to do that, so I thought I'd see if I could get her back on the road, and then found this place.

Who knew what adventures awaited. Man, what a trip this has been!

I’d like to take this opportunity to once again thank all of you guys for your support and encouragement throughout this process.

I especially need to say thank you here to you 2M.
You hung in with me over the last year. You can't know how much I have appreciated your advice, coaching and camaraderie.
I could not have done this without your help.
Thank you my friend.

And an equally special thank you to the gurus 5twins and gggGary for also looking over my shoulder and giving me direction. I appreciate your wisdom, sage counsel, and advice.
5twins you took the time to give me a complete shopping list of all the parts and tools I needed. Searching for answers lead me to countless posts of yours with excellent pictures and instructions. What a huge undertaking it would be, but if all of these could ever be assembled by topic, they would be the ultimate resources in the Tech section. You should write and publish a manual. Actually, all you would have to do is copy and paste, you've already written it!
Thank you.

And Jim, what can I say buddy? You are a great teacher, communicator and presenter with the patience of Job. The rebuild thread you put together is a tremendous contribution to this amazing forum and it walked me step by step through the process on my shop computer.

Just follow the bouncing ball..........

Jim bouncing ball.jpg

Since you're gettin' ready to do your top end Robin... looks like you're the designated crash test dummy...;)
As so appointed by you, I have to say:

“Ya hit it out of the park buddy!”

You’re a class act my friend. Thanks man.

If I were to thank each of you who provided suggestions and ideas that helped me along the way I would surely exceed the maximum word count. Please accept my sincerest thanks here to all of you. Be encouraged that I appreciated all your comments.

To think two years ago I was considering selling this bike. What a bonehead blunder that would have been.
I never would have got to know all you guys. What a tremendous personal loss that would have been, and look at all the fun I would have missed out on!

Forgive my repetitiveness and waxing philosophically here, but I wouldn't have traded this journey for anything!

Robin

It's been an interesting journey to watch Robin. Keep it going with some interesting "journeys."

Thanks Dude. Still can't wipe the grin off my face!
When I'm happy everything is dialed in I will put Black Betty's seat on her, pull up your post do the seat cover and reinstall the seat trim band.

For some reason the guy who reupholstered it for me back in 1990, didn't put it back on. The fasteners have been lost over the years but I have been able to track down new ones. Looking forward to getting this done. That one has had it!

Back