One Man Engine Install - Is it possible?

Byookanun

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever put their engine in the frame by themselves? And without scratching the frame? If so do you have any tips or tricks?

Yes. of course its possible. Is it a smart thing to do........no! Its a good way to cause back injuries, or bring back ones you forgot about. Most people don't normally lift 150 lbs into confined spaces. Always best to use 2 people.

Some guys like to lay the engine on its side and then lower the frame down over the engine. Wrap foam or other padding marterial around the frame to prevent scrathing.

Some guys like to lay the engine on its side and then lower the frame down over the engine. Wrap foam or other padding marterial around the frame to prevent scrathing.

I watched a youtube video with someone doing that. Pretty slick. But my engine is full of oil. I've had the engine in and out a few times but have always had an extra hand in doing so. I actually took my completed bike apart last weekend to have the frame powder coated. It was just painted before that. I'm putting the bike back together today.

I've done it a few times by myself. I built a table for the bike that's about 4ft tall, so lifting the engine and sliding it in isn't bad at all. As mentioned protecting the frame rails is a good idea. Never done the laying the engine/frame down technique but lots of people have done that too.

Well, nobody said it would be really easy. You will have a few extra steps working alone. Drain the oil, that's all, then pour it back in once the engine has been installed.

I laid mine on it's side, and dropped the frame over it. Not sure why, but it's suggested to lay it on it's right side.

Also as 5Twins said, drain the oil, install it, and put it back in. This way, you can also remove the right and left side covers, making it lighter still.

10008239456_5b439877e3_b.jpg

10008158494_8b073ab183_b.jpg

Is there an easy way to drain the oil when the engine is sitting on the floor?

I would try to rock it forward, put a block of 2x4 under the back, raise the rear up and do the same, that should lift it enough to get under the engine. Or see if you can undo the little side cover if you can get a shallow but big tray under it. 2.5L goes a long way!!

I used some thick threaded rod that fits through the engine bolt holes to lug mine about, one through the front top engine mount, and one at the top rear one. Might be easier and more balanced to try and get it up on something that way.

Easy or easy and clean?
Just block it up on 2x4 pieces until it fits over a drain pan. You can keep on blocking it up until it is the same level as the frame. Pad the frame and horse it in.

I've done the lay-it-on-its-side trick several times and have never drained the oil first. If the motor is assembled then the oil isn't going to run out anywhere.

Has anyone ever put their engine in the frame by themselves? And without scratching the frame? If so do you have any tips or tricks?
............................... hi i use a cheapish block and tackleratted at 1ton i paid $30in orbost australia,,, the best thing i,ve purchased so far,,,i,ve lifted commodore motors withh the transmission on as well i wrecked 3 early vk commodore cars and lifted the straight 6 motor and trans out alltogether regards oldbiker

yes, i take masking take and do the rails from the bottom motormount up them go over the masking tape a few times with gorilla tape (masking tape 1st so the gorilla tape doeant take the paint off) i put it in from the right side

Back