Output Shaft Oil Seal

Dusty

Dusty
Reaction score
Well, I'm back. I don't know what I'd do without this forum.
How do y'all keep your output shaft seal from passing oil onto your sprocket?
I put in a new seal, and it still puts oil on the sprocket, and oils the chain. I'm guessing this is something they all do because all the XS 650's I have or have had are covered with oil and gunk in that area.
Is there a way to seal it up so that I have to maintain my chain instead of the bike oiling it for me?

well the nut that holds the sprocket on needs to be tight, I always pack that sleeve that goes on the shaft (what the oil seal runs on) full of heavy grease

Attachments

• sprocket nut.JPG
    sprocket nut.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 163
Have you put a brake booster check valve in your breather hose? Adding the valve will produce a vacumm in the crankcase and slow the oil leak.

No, I would never have thought to do that. What does the valve look like, or can you suggest what to get? Can I see photo's?

Just a little more FYI, the check valve that 5twins shows above can be found at any autoparts store -- or you can pull one off a (parts) car's power brake booster. Far as I know, they're pretty much one size fits all, but if you have any doubts, take your breather hose with you to match the inlet size.

The one 5twins shows has a large end and a small end. The large end is the end to plug into your breather hose, it's a perfect fit.
It will slow or stop leaks, and can improve engine performance. The vacumm created by the valve helps seal the rings better.
There are valves that can do a much more noticable job on improving the performance , they just cost a whole lot more.
On the later models where the breather is hooked into the airbox you get a bit of the effect already. I don't see any reason it wouldn't help.
If you hook it in a hose clamp might be enough to seal the hose to the check valve. If not making an adapter to fit the smaller end fit snug in the larger breather hose should be easy. A 1/2 inch section of the breather hose with a section cut out to fit around the check valve and the breather hose should fit snug over this adapter.

Last edited:
Back