PAMCO Electronic advance

I hope to see this on the Canadian version (XS650direct) soon. I just changed what I hope is my last set of points after a backfire blew the carbs right out of the boots. Now saving sheckels for the winter refit.:banghead:

HHB PMA Pete. I shot you an email, mate but I'm guessing you get lots ;) My name is Trent, in case you go looking for it.

Cheers.

I got my new simplified Pamco + advance installed and running a couple of days ago. I'm digging it. The bike has never run this well, and that is with a very tired original coil. I have a VF1000 3.0 ohm coil coming. I can only expect it will get better. It would be nice to eventually see the advance electronics setup small enough to be incorporated onto the pamco plate or under the cover somehow. Well done, Pete.

I hope to see this on the Canadian version (XS650direct) soon. I just changed what I hope is my last set of points after a backfire blew the carbs right out of the boots. Now saving sheckels for the winter refit.:banghead:

Order direct from Hugh. That's what I did. XS650Direct has been out of stock for quite some time. UPS man is delivering mine today.

I am looking to get rid of the points and advance setup. I want to go with the pamco. Setup and am very confused by what Mikesxs has to offer. Which setup will give me the electronic ignition and replace the advance weights and plate? I am confused inn the differences between 14-0913 and 14-0907. Any. Help will be greatly appreciated.

Flitch,

The 14-0913 comes with the 17-6903 "Ultimate" coil. The 14-0907 the 17-6822 coil.

Both come with the advance rod and bushings which you do not need if you have points, so you should be looking at the 14-0910 (17-6903 "Ultimate" coil) or the 14-0905 (17-6822 coil) for less money.

Here is a spreadsheet to help choose the right PAMCO kit for you:

mikesxs Kits.jpg

Notes: 1. 17-6903 coil is the "Ultimate" coil
2. 14-0648 to replace the mechanical advancer in an existing PAMCO setup.

I've had several reports of the copper cap advancer substitute coming loose because it was not installed properly. The instructions say to install the washers and copper cap while the advance rod is not in the engine. This step is essential as you must tighten the nut holding the copper cap and washers on the advance rod before inserting the advance rod into the cam shaft hollow. The whole deal is designed to leave a slight gap on the PAMCO rotor side (left side) to ensure that there is pressure applied to the copper cap onto the locating pin on the right side, so do not try to install both at the same time.

Hey Pete, as you may have read on some other threads, some of the later 'TCI' bikes have heads and/or camcovers with blank undrilled/untapped points plate screw holes. Do you have any recommendations for these members? Or maybe offer a kit, drill guide with bit and tap?

TwoMany...,

Well, the advance side (right side) does not have the pre drilled and tapped holes, but as far as I know, the points side (left side) always does.

As an example, take a look at posts #32 thru #46: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27715

Well, I looked at the pictures and the first picture is of the left side and looks to me like there is a hole there. Keep in mind that when Yamaha was making the TCI bikes for the US they were still making points engines for the rest of the world so i don't think they would have two different production lines for the engines. That's why the TCI bikes have the holes. The other thing to consider is that all the cam shafts are hollow to accommodate the advance rod which is not necessary for the TCi engine, so further indication that all the engines were the same, points and TCI and that Yamaha did not try to save some production costs on the TCI engines.

Pete, is there any way to test the individual components on the auto advance unit? I have a pretty good fluke meter. I know i can test the resistors, but what about the rectifier and whatnot? I was getting spark for about 20 minutes and now im not getting any spark and my fuses are all good. Nothing looks burnt or anything.

njiv.jpg

Did you do the troubleshooting per Pete's web site yet? Need to do that first.

Yes, coil checks out.

No spark from the pamco using the test where you pull the pin out of the rod and spin the pickup. There is +12v at the pamco

Hi Pete,

How is the trouble shooting going with the 277 model and when can we expect it to be available please?

Yes, coil checks out.

No spark from the pamco using the test where you pull the pin out of the rod and spin the pickup. There is +12v at the pamco

Keith,

I responded to your Email and sent you a new unit. Please review the installation instructions before installing the new one.

Hi Pete,

How is the trouble shooting going with the 277 model and when can we expect it to be available please?

The first problem we encountered with the 277 is that the cam shaft is often a different length than stock due to the modification to make it a 277 cam and the method we use to eliminate the mechanical advancer depends on a consistent cam shaft length.

Back