PAMCO Electronic advance

Pete,
I know your busier than all get out, but when can we expect to get a ignition and advance set up for a 277 rephased 82?

I took one up to HHB last week to work with Hugh on it. Still a couple of issues, but it did work OK. Will probably release it in a week or two, as soon as I get caught up with the back orders.

I just installed my new E-advancer, and it works just great.:thumbsup: Took the bike out for the first time this spring and did a short 14 kms. The E-advancer makes for smoother acceleration, and my bike even seems to have more power, which may just be in my mind:shrug: A big improvement over the old orignial fly-weights.

Thanks Pete for another super product!

Hey, RG! Did yours come with the 'retard' feature, and did you try kickstart?

Not sure about the "retard", but I suspect that is built into all the E-advancers that Pete is shipping.

I normally only use the electric start, and it started instantly for me to-day, same as always. I will have to use the kick start tomorrow. My bike is a one kick to start, so likely no different with the E-advancer.

I haven't been on here for awhile, glad to see Pete got his electronic advance unit ready for me ( just in time ! ) I don't want to bother Pete with stoopid questions and I have a hard time climbing the stairs to get on the computer ( can't even sit in a chair for very long when I do get up here ) and there are way too many posts to sort through , so , seeing how R G has the same year bike and has a Pamco ignition ( my Pamco is a couple of years old,) .

So, do I need to order any other parts to install the E advance ? Thanks . (need to do some tuning ,so it is a good time to get one of these .)

Scrambled,

Sounds like you already have a PAMCO installed on your bike, so as long as you have the 60 degree rotor, you will only need the E-Advancer which comes with the substitute for the mechanical advancer.

I'm also looking to get the E-Advancer from Mikes XS because it will put my order over the free shipping level---Pete, I'm just trying to get an idea when he will have them??

Just converted a 77, pulled the stock points, advance, coils etc. Installed the pamco with e-advance, I used an accel 3.0 ohm coil. (the coil fits nicely over the brace bar) wired it all up and on lark hit the starter button..... vroom vroom smooth as silk. Had to back the idle screw out several turns from where it had been "running good" before. Set the timing simple as pie, spot on idle and full advance, done! Thanks Pete 2 more e-advance on order.

Thanks to all who ordered over this past weekend. MikesXS sold out the E-Advancers that I sent last week, but we are sending more today and Friday, so he should be in a good stocking position soon.

As for the 277 E-Advancer, it does exist but still some minor tweeking of the program before it is released.

Pete,
Questions.
1. can you tell us more about the fail safe if you leave your key on?
2. Not in any way saying it will but if the unit were to fail could a person simply reinstall their advance unit and be back on the road or would you have to bypass the units wiring? Just curious. If i don't have to bypass I'd just keep the advance unit in my tool bag.

Last, not sure if you ever tried this but for those who needed a fail safe for the original pamco I've have a simple solution. Find one of those digital guard dog units (the one's that are the size of a regular relay) and wire it into your Pamco. If you get more than a few meters from the bike it will kill all power to the ignition. i didn't want to run a key on my xs so I found one of these for less than $100 bucks on clearance and did this. It is very effective both to safeguard the pamco but also as a theft prevention measure since its impossible to start the bike without the key fob. Keep the key fob in manual mode so you have to push the button to unlock the bike's ignition.

Thanks for making what looks like another great product.

Capt_Zoom,

1. The E-Advancer will not power the coil until the sensor has been triggered. So, if you turn on the key and kill switch and not start the engine, nothing will happen to the coil or E-Advancer. However, if the engine quits on its own and you leave the ignition and kill switch on, there is still a 33% chance that the coil could overheat.
2. If you add the E-Advancer to a standard PAMCO you can just re-install the mechanical advancer, but you would have to bypass the E-Advancer. The new simplified plate is not capable of driving the coil, however.

I've had another dunce moment I guess. I installed mine last weekend and couldn't kick the bike over afterwards, just a hell of a back fire. Unfortunately I ran out of time in the shed so didn't have time to uninstall check the bike then reinstall so cannot say where I've botched it. I did check the new wiring and while I couldn't solder it due to my iron playing up, the splices all seem good and solid. Bugger hey.

Back