Pamco/Ignition wiring questions (1978E stock harness)

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys - I'm ready to wire up my Pamco and wanted to run a few questions through the board to verify I've got things positioned appropriately and also to ask for some advice. Bike is a 1978E, I've got the stock harness (well, Mikes version of the stock harness) wired up, the Pamco kit purchased was the pamco with e/advancer and basic dual output (emgo?) coil. I've got everything physically mocked up, so getting close to finished. My goal is to leave as much of the stock harness in tact, just because I don't like the idea of cutting stuff out of the harness if I don't have to.

1) Wiring

With the points, old coils, and condensors removed, I'm left with

Harness:
Red/white #1 --> to red wire from e-advance box
Orange --> Cap off

Red/white #2 --> to one of the coil's male spade connectors
Gray --> Cap off

Orange (2 into 1) --> Cap off

Gray (2 into 1) --> Cap off

Pamco E-Advance Box:
Red Wire -->Red/white #1 from harness
Green Wire -->to one of the coil's male spade connectors
Black Wire --> ground to frame

Coil:
Male Spade Post 1 --> to red/white #2 from harness
Male Spade Post 2 --> to green wire from E-advance box

2) connection advice

How would people suggest connecting the PAMCO sensor to the E-Advance box wires? Options are either use butt-connectors and hardwire/heatshrink the wires to make them sealed OR plug each side into a 3 pin connector for future access. Any thoughts or preferences? I don't plan on modifying/changing this in the future - assuming everything is working okay.

3)Since I'm running the whole stock harness, the mounting area of reccomendation for the coil (to the frame with the plumbing clamps bewtween where the two stock coils were mounted) is extremely tight. Are people moving their horn, flashers, and the black rubberized box that sits just infront of the coils (self cancelling light unit?). I just see everything being *very* tight once done, and I just don't want the heat from the coil to cause any problems to other wires pushing up against or near it.

Thanks - looking forward to getting this wrapped up and back on the road.

Picture fwiw

Attachments

• 20150528_210754.jpg
    20150528_210754.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 186
RPC3,

Your description of the wiring is fine. Use whatever type of connectors or terminals that you want. I soldered and heat shrunk the wires from the sensor to the E-Advancer box and mounted the E-Advancer under the left side air filter cover simply tie wrapped to the wire harness. It is still possible to remove both even though they are soldered together. Soldering / heatshrinking is the most secure way to make the connections.

Most people trash the turn signal canceller as it is not reliable, and in my opinion, it's a hazard as its algorithm for cancelling is arbitrary and it can cancel at exactly the wrong time, as it did to me when making a left turn in front of a beer truck stopped at a stop sign. :eek:

The turn signal relay can be pushed into that little cubby hole where the frame comes together in front, but in any event, the coil is not going to produce enough heat to damage the wiring.

Thanks Pete, that was exactly what I was looking for. I got everything wired together and buttoned up last night. Once the rain stops I'll check the timing and hope for the best, but I think everything came together nicely.

One thing I'm wondering; the edvance box doesn't have room under my left side cover due to of how I mounted my vr115 regulator. I just tucked it into the empty tool cubby, but are there any concerns with the box vibrating around? I could stuff a rag around it to dampen it, or try and tie wrap it down elsewhere.

Thanks again

Edit: Minus the weather I'm good to go - thanks again for all the help.

Thanks Pete, that was exactly what I was looking for. I got everything wired together and buttoned up last night. Once the rain stops I'll check the timing and hope for the best, but I think everything came together nicely.

One thing I'm wondering; the edvance box doesn't have room under my left side cover due to of how I mounted my vr115 regulator. I just tucked it into the empty tool cubby, but are there any concerns with the box vibrating around? I could stuff a rag around it to dampen it, or try and tie wrap it down elsewhere.

Thanks again

Edit: Minus the weather I'm good to go - thanks again for all the help.

Wow, that sounds so smooth!

If you can find a wire bundle to simply tie wrap the blue box to, that would be better than stuffing anything around it due to the possibility of heat buildup. A wire bundle also acts as a vibration dampener. Also, I noticed that the plug wire is in close porximity to the sensor wire. Just move the plug wire to the outside away from the sensor wire.

Back