Pamco testing

Black22

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched for a while. Even found a thread that had my exact issues, but it ended with the question I have.

I've got a PAMCO w/ E advance. Everything is temp wired and I have no spark. All connections have been tested for continuity and ground all check out. I have been doing the spin test and get no readings on the green PAMCO sensor wire. The last thread I came across asked "does that mean the pamco is dead" or something to that effect. That was the end on the thread!

Well is that what it means?

It's a 79 Special motor in an 81 frame. BS-38s rebuilt. New coil. PMA and Pamco were installed by PO. Engined had a holed piston when I got her so I've never had it running. Engine top end is all newly rebuilt. What's the deal?

Last edited:
Ok, you don't mention if you are running a battery.
On testing the Pamco as you describe it should be hooked to a battery. Preferably one separate from the bike.
This way you can test the Pamco, If working, run the bike on the battery then test the PMA output. Once you confirm the PMA output then hook the Pamco to the bikes electrical system.
Leo

I thought I answered everything someone would ask!

Yes I am running off a battery. 11.8 volts at the moment. PMA is disconnected.

That battery voltage is a bit low but should still be enough to spark. Is this voltage with the key on or off? With it on, the voltage at the battery and at the red wire at the Pamco and coil should be the same as the battery.
If not you can PM Pamcopete or wait till he reads this and responds.
If you have good voltages I might try check the coil. The primary side should be 2.5 to 4 ohms. With no continuity to the body of the coil, where it mounts to the frame.
Just thought, on the E-advancer you did hook the proper side to the sensor plate, the other to the bike. This may sound silly but some have done this, so take no offence.
Leo

No offense ever taken when asking for help.

Voltage at battery is 11.8 and with key on at coil is 11.7. I did not check the red Pamco wire specifically, but the coil and red wire are fed by same fuse buss.

Coil is new. MikesXS p/n 17-6903. Coil tests all check out with readings at Primary's 3 Ohms and secondary's 14,800. Open readings everywhere else. E Advance module has a label on the back with arrows and titles stating coil and sensor. Those are hooked up correctly.

Thank you XSLeo. I appreciate the input. I've read many threads on this forum during my short time here and you always have great information. Thank you again!

I found yet another thread that ends with a ?

I performed the spin test for the PAMCO again this morning.

With 11.8V at battery.
Key switch on = 11.8V at fuse block
Kill switch on = 11.8V at red & green lead to PAMCO, at red lead of coil AND green at coil!

Spin test had not been performed yet and I already had full battery voltage to both primary's.

Spin test resulted in no spark.

Coil confirmed good on friends bike.

Is the PAMCO fried?

Last edited:
So Pete has yet to chime in. He's probably on Christmas vacation.

I think the Pamco sensor is toast. It doesn't pass the spin test. Pete has mentioned in other threads that the plate can be purchased seperately on his site for $63. The issue is, according to his site, that option is only available for the original Pamco version. There is not a drop down selection for the E-advance model "plate only". Anyone else here purchased an E-advance plate only?

I emailed Pete from on his site and have this thread here that I keep bumping to the top. Hope he gets them soon. I'm on vacation too, that's why I'm working on the bike.

Thanks for responding Pete. I have followed your instructions on other threads. All of them.

I have no spark. But for information sake , I'll copy and paste your instructions here and answer them one by one.

Here is a test procedure for the coil and PAMCO:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.

**Mine is 3 Ohms

2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)

**Mine is Open /no reading.

3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)

**Mine is open.

4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)

**Mine is open.

5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

**Mine is 15,000

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.

** I have a custom harness I built w/ 16ga wire. Colors are different, but locations the same. Battery could use a charge, but it is 11.8V

2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.

**Done

3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

**Done

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.

**Done

2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.

**Done

3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.

**Done

4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.

**Yes it will

5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.

**Done

6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.

**Done

7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.

**Done

8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.

**No Spark

9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

**Done

Anything I missed?

I did get a spark on the plug when I was inserting the meter probe into the green lead between the E advance unit and sensor. I was trying to check voltage at every connection and the connection came apart. Reconnecting it resulted in spark.

Last edited:
Come on Pete, the suspense is killing me.

As a plea to anyone else who has started a thread like this, please, for the love of all that is holy, wrap up your threads with results. All the threads, pages of them, that have my exact issues, end with a question like "so is the coil bad?" Or "is the Pamco fried?" That is the end of the thread. I'm trying not sound like a whiny ex-girfriend when I say this but, I need closure! Lol!

If your readings are correct, can you test your coil on another bike? If its good then the only thing left is the pamco, or your wiring

What wiring diagram did you use?

Seems to me that it's the pamco. Stinks but at least he has a great warranty policy. Best of luck.

Sounds like the pamco to me as well. I read in several threads to make sure you have a good enough ground from the engine to the battery. Some people had too small of a gauge wire going from the battery to the frame, for example. One person, I forget who, even said his engine wasn't grounding well to the frame due to painted brackets and frame or something... Anyway, that would be something to check before running a new pamco.

Take Warning15,

Thank you for the reply. I thought the grounds might be an issue, so during a couple of test try's I was actually using jumper cables to a car battery for my positive and negative leads and power source. I had the ground from the battery directly connected t an unpainted part of the frame and the Pamco grounded to that same point.

Well, being the holiday season an all, Pete has contacted me and is walking me through all my troubles. You can't get any better customer service than that! Thank you Pete! I will update this thread when I resolve my issue.

i was having similar issues with mine recently......it ended up being a long pc of solder on the back of the pamco circuit board shorting out on the pamco aluminum plate it is screwed to.....i trimmed it and reinstalled and my bike fired in one kick after

Hmmm, never thought of that.

I received a new system from Pete the day after Christmas. I installed it late Staurday night and much to my wife's surprise, she awoke to an XS650 idling with open headers at 11:30pm. I bet the neighbors were thrilled too, but she runs!!

I'm sending the original unit back to Pete today, so maybe he can find out what the issue is. I'm no electrical genius, so I wouldn't be able to diagnose it. My only guess is that I had a fried coil and that took out the Pamco. How that happens, I dont know. I'm very judicious when it comes to connections and application of power for short durations during testing.

Once again a HUGE thank you to Pete for standing behind his product, during the holiday season on top of it. I can't imagine the post office line was very short Pete. Thank you for making my Christmas and first XS650 build great.

Black22,

Well, I'm running out of wall space, but I think I can find enough room to put this one up. Wives are very precious this time of year, so give her an extra hug.

Back