Pamco

Leslie

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I pick my basket case XS650 up this Saturday.

I will be taking her back down to single component level and turning her into a KR rep tracker.

The person I have purchased the bike off told me it is a American model (1980).He told me that she was miss firing on the R/Hand cylinder.

I am looking at fitting a PAMCO system when I have reconditioned and re-fitted the engine!!!!!! am I going over the top fitting a PAMCO as part of the conversion?

Any advise/opinions welcome :doh:

Leslie

....'her',.... 'she'..., I can tell you're in love! :)

I assume being an American '80 it (she) has electronic ignition; I don't know if you need to add the mechanical advance to run the Pamco? I'm sure someone will let you know. Have no experience with the Pamco, both of mine are points.

Good luck with the build.

Ady,
I have not seen her yet just a description over the phone,,and yes I do fall in love with my bikes LOL. This one has been in the blokes garage for 7 years and he imported 10 years ago.

I just want to renovate her to a High standard, but not standard if you know what I mean,,,I have been looking at several dozen Flat tracker XS650 via Google images and they look real trick. I want to put a set of Up side downers on her and either a Vance and Hines paint job or a King Kenny rep LOL

Pamco is not "over the top" at all. Good choice, actually. And you will need the advance unit. For us colonists, what are "upside downers"?

I think he means the smaller tubes of the forks are on the bottom and the larger tubes on top in the triple trees. Like the white brothers forks if I correctly recall.

Yeah, I've been known to get attached to my bikes. Well, some of them...
The XS has that elusive 'character' that is often missing in modern bikes. Had mine for about 8 years and bought another so must be more love than hate.

With a bit of luck the misfiring is something minor and easy to fix - might just be down to standing.

McA, anything to modernize these 30+ yr old bikes is adding to the reliability of these machines. I added the pamco and made room for the chargeing system in the process. I love my '80 SG. These bikes are so easy to do anything you want with them. Go for it.

Pamco is not "over the top" at all. Good choice, actually. And you will need the advance unit. For us colonists, what are "upside downers"?

Pregrid,
Colonists, sorry mucker I keep forgetting some English/Irish dont speak correct english and have funny dialects.

Upside Downers is a term used in UK biker speak as a set of Front forks of a modern sports bike.

McA, anything to modernize these 30+ yr old bikes is adding to the reliability of these machines. I added the PAMCO and made room for the charging system in the process. I love my '80 SG. These bikes are so easy to do anything you want with them. Go for it.

Azman,
Which Pamco did you fit,and does the charging system come as a kit:confused:.

I am going to start a new thread asking XS owners opinions on what upgrades/alterations to do while I have the Bike down to component level.

Leslie

The Pamco is just an ignition, all it does is run the engine. The charging system is an entirely different system. All it does is charge the battery.
If once you get all the engine parts together, then adding the Pamco is an easy upgrade. You need a kit with the advancer parts. Installing it with the instructions supplied by Pamcopete, takes a few minutes, depending on the coil you choose then another half hour for that. Wiring it to a battery takes just a few minutes.
If you did everything right and thre carbs are clean then it should run.
Once you get it that far using the stock charging system parts will make it charge the battery.
From there adding the lights and such is easy.
Leo

With the PAMCO installed, the TCI was removed and its place the Chysler regulator was installed.

Back