petcocks, fuel valves for original bungs on Hap Jones tanks

emzdogz

Aunty Em
Reaction score
this is for the bungs on Hap Jones tanks with the extremely fine 3/8 inch female thread.

Rask Cycle has the male thread petcocks with this thread. They are NOT on the website though, so you have to call.

Just posting this in hopes it might help someone else having a hard time sourcing petcocks for this tank - and this post turns up in a search.

(otherwise It was starting to look like having to either weld these holes up and tap for new more widely available size or cut em out and weld new bungs in)

(ps: I have no connection at all to Rask, except being pleased to find this part)

thanx. is it like a fine metric? what is a hap jones tank? ide like to see your bike as a whole. seems the only pictures u post are close ups of areas. dont be shy.

It's hard to get a full shot of the bike now because it's up on a table with lots of stuff closeby, which prevents me from standing far enough back to get the full bike, but I'll try to do that today. Hap Jones co. was a parts co from way back (60's and maybe 70's?) that sold aftermarket stuff, both racing and chopper. So they imported these neat little tanks from England, similar to Wassel tanks, used on choppers and, say, drag bikes or other racing applications.
:)
I don't know what the thread is. Def. not NPT. Very fine and it hardly goes down at all. Like if you just look at the threads they look almost horizontal. Being british-made, I just don't have a good guess as to what the thread actually is. But the size seems to be 3/8 inch.

ok here's a full shot. You'll have to try and ignore all the crap around, though. You see, it lives in something like a manger, lol - as in "away in a manger no crib for his bed"....
:) (the sheep are just out of view)
full

wow, emz. looks like your getting close to a ride down the driveway! looks more complete than I thought.
Maybe your best bet for the threads is to take the tank to a specialty bolt company, so they can actually look at it.

Is there enough steel around the bungs to rethread to a standard pipe thread?
I got a 4 piece pipe thead tap set from Harbor Freight for like $15.
Or take the tank to a good plumber and see if he can thread it to a standard 3/8 pipe thread.

Hap Jones tanks are probably like my wassell which uses British Standard pipe thread. Its a b$%^ to find stuff for. very fine, approximately 3/8.

What's Rask cycle asking for the petcocks?

Could you post a pic of one if you got them?

Also did your HAP Jones have 3 or 4 bungs. My deep tunnel wassell has 3 one at the rear and two at almost center. Nearest I can figure is that the rear is the petcock on mine and the two at center are for a crossover to equalize the fuel level. I wish my wassell had 4 bungs.

Back