Please help...can't get bike to start after a long period in storage!!

Hi folks, I'm trying to figure out how to insert a picture into this message so that I can show you photos of my carbs. I have already created an album with the photos of the carb in my profile - now gotta figure out how to get it into this message. Talk about a techo-tard....

I'll be back...

Carb album lots o pics

And his "wrong" manifold
full

Sorry but it's a "wrong way" manifold, the right one is on upside down. Oops.

The manifolds are marked left and right I think they are also on the wrong side of the engine!

Check your vacuum line that goes from the petcock to the manifold whats on there "looks" big it needs to be a tight fit and be held on with wire clamps.

You throttle plates appear to be rather out of synch; with the idle speed screw backed off until the LH (riders left) plate just touches the bore adjust the other plate to match, fiddle with this until they are exactly matched by adjusting the idle screw and watching the plates.

From your other album; that is one sharp looking bike!

Gary,

1. Did you delete the words in your post: "I think they are also on the wrong side of the engine?
2. My vacuum line was just pushed on to the outlet on the manifold - it was not secured with a wire clamp.
3. So must the barb on the right side manifold be on the outside as opposed to the inside?
4. I will adjust the throttle plates as you suggest.

I took out the mixture screws today and cleaned it all very well. Will put it all back together tomorrow and wait for my new manifolds to arrive.

I did cross that out, They are on the correct side, just one is upside down.

That one looked pretty crusty yet. but maybe you've cleaned that.

Did you replace the float valve bodies (held in by a bracket and screw) or just the float needles?
I recommend shimming the jet needles on a stocker with ONE small washer, there's several how to threads.

QUOTE - That one looked pretty crusty yet. but maybe you've cleaned that.

Gary, I apologize if I appear to be somewhat clueless, (which I really am), but what are you referring to when you talk about something being crusty?

Last edited:
full

The greenish stuff on the left one?

I added a couple of things to my last post.

OK Gary, gotcha. How do I clean that greenish stuff off? Could this be causing the bike not to start?

Also, I did replace the float valve bodies as you asked - it came in the carb rebuild kit from Mikes XS. I removed the little strainer baskets from the old valve bodies and placed them on to the new bodies. I had a heck of a time removing the screws that hold the little brackets in place that secures the valve bodies - I had to create new slots on each screw with a saw so that a flat screwdriver could fit and I was then able to get them out. Since the screws only hold the brackets in place, I did not replace them as I don't have any that size. Is this a potential problem?

[QUOTE Since the screws only hold the brackets in place, I did not replace them as I don't have any that size. [/QUOTE]

Just to clarify, I meant that I did not replace the screws with new ones - I used the old screws, which seem to work perfectly fine.

"screws only hold the brackets in place, I did not replace them as I don't have any that size."

Didn't put them back in or didn't get new ones? Reusing the old is fine.
The thing with old deposits is that new gas will dissolve them and it will find a way to plug up little holes like say the hole in the pilot jet or at the idle screw. This is very common on wake up bikes. Even with my "pretty thorough" cleaning it's usually a tank or two of fuel through the system before the idle settles down for the long haul.

Gary, are you saying I should or should not attempt to clean the green stuff on the floats? I get the impression from your reply that you feel I should clean them. If so, can I use carb cleaner for this, or gasoline?

Hi guys, I wanted to give you a quick update and I also have a question....

I cleaned the carbs again (third or fourth time) and scrubbed off the green "stuff" from the floats as Gary suggested. I waited for the new manifolds from eBay to arrive and received them yesterday. I assembled everything and attempted to start the bike and guess what...

SUCCESS!! It started! It was so good hearing the sound of the engine again after 13 years!!

However, I could tell it was not running properly- it was backfiring and spluttering and ws very unsmooth. I took it for a short ride today to see how it would feel after it warmed up. The bike is not running well at all. First, it smells like the mixture is not set correctly - it's either too rich or too lean. I backed the fuel mixture screws out 3 full turns from the bottom when I assembled the carbs. The bike has no power at all and continues to jerk, splutter and surge. It feels like something needs to be adjusted, but I could be wrong...

How do I go about identifying the cause of the problem and fixing it?

As usual, thank you very much to all members who have so generously been remotely assisting me with this project!

Angus, thanks for coming to the rescue. Standard pipes and standard jets. How do I adjust the richness - with the fuel mixture screw? How many turns out from the bottom?

The manual will give you a starting setting. every bike is different, even at same altitude. . search for dead cylinder method once you have it idling on its own.
We need to know what size pilots/mains you have in those carbs. and are you sure that in the idle mix screw you have o-ring, washer, and screw in that order? Sometimes its hard to see down in there, and end up double stacking O-rings in there.

Back