PMA Help

Ask questions , lots of help here, not from me but from the guy's that have lots of experience. If you are interested in going back to stock charging and ignition systems parts can be found. Jim rebuilds rotors for the charging sys. and him a few other guy's have built a "gonzo" ignition sys......

tim

Man that sucks
Not so much. Did you try to diagnose your ignition? Most likely is bad coil. Second most likely is bad connector or wiring. The TCI box rarely goes bad and fixing it usually just involves some easy re soldering of overly-vibrated joints...

^It should all just plug together incl. the coil unless somebody hacked up the wiring

^Is it simplified wiring like on a chopper? A person here makes simplified harnesses that I assume has plugs. Maybe TC Bros does as well. Might be a good fresh start

^Then definitely just buy a simplified harness for 1980+ and use a stock ignition and charging and go from there. Much easier, even with good knowledge of wiring. If the plugs on the TCI, generator, etc. are gone too, it'll be more of a problem, but still do-able.

Last edited:
I know the tci is good and I recently bought a new coil but im super bad at wiring so I probably shorted the coils with my wiring

Had a look at your other thread.........no fuses and lots of exposed twist joins......if the coil was shorted the TCI may have taken a hit as well

Up near the top of the page you will see TECH. Click on it and it takes you to a list. This list has major headings, scroll down to ELELTRICAL Scroll down to find wiring diagram #4. This diagram is drawn as the early points and separate regulator and rectifier. In boxes it shows the later TCI and combo reg/rec. It has the E-start up in the corner.
In the repair manual there is a section on the TCI. It tells you how to test the pick ups and TCI box. There's not much you test on the TCI box. Once Things check out you can use diagram #4 to wire up the TCI box and pick ups. You will have to mount the stock rotor and stator. At this point you are only trying to determine if the TCI works, so no need for the charging system.
If it runs you can go into the TECh and find the Charging System Guide. It tell how to check all the parts of the system. Mostly the parts that break down are the brushes, around $20. and the Rotor. It should have 4.9 ohms. If not it needs replace or rewinding. The stator and reg/rec are less common issues.
Use #4 to wire these parts up.
Start the engine to test the charging. At idle 12-13 volts Get a bit above idle it should come up ti around 14.5 volts and never go higher no matter the rpms.
If the stock ignition won't work swapping in an aftermarket ignition isn't hard to do. On the diagram just run the power to the new ignition instead of the TCI.
If your stock charging system works your golden, Send the PMA back.
If you can't get the stock charging system up and running with our help then the PMA is an option.
Leo​

Back