PMA Help

Cadergray

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1983 650 and I purchase a TC Bros PMA and rectifier. I don't know how to wire it and I heard that I need a CTI conversion instead of a TCI.

Hey Cadergray--- The PMA install is pretty simple, 3 wires from the new stator into the new regulator/rectifer . I'm not sure you understand that you also need a new ignition system. Removal of the old charging system also removes part of the ignition system on your 83 xs. Your project now gets expensive real quick. ......

tim

Points,condenser and engine advance system, a bit of a step backwards if you ask me. Did your bikes charging system work before your idea to change to a PMA ??

tim

Last edited:
points and advance system, and advance rod as well...........Not just a straight forward swap.................have to buy the bushings for the advance rod and they have to be installed into the head. Where the bushings go, the casting imperfections weren't cleaned up from the factory as the bushings weren't needed with the TCI ignition. Simple enough to clean them up, just another thing to do..............

I have a 1983 650 and I purchase a TC Bros PMA and rectifier. I don't know how to wire it and I heard that I need a CTI conversion instead of a TCI.

Hi Cadergrey,
don't drink the PMA koolade!
If your '83's stock system is hooped you are better off fixing it than you will be living with a PMA.

I've already bought a pma because people raved over it and the stock ignition was broken
A PMA is a charging system, not an ignition system. If it was running, the iggy was OK. Why don't you describe your problem and maybe we can help.

I've already bought a pma because people raved over it and the stock ignition was broken

Hi Cadergrey,
PMA stands for Permanent Magnet Alternator. A PMA charges your battery just like the stock system did.
The bike's battery works the stock ignition no matter what's charging it.
Or even if it's not being charged at all. You got no spark or no charge or what?

I think the only people who rave about PMA's are the guys that sell them, lol. They also laugh a lot on their way to the bank.

So do I now have to delete the TCI, and replace it with points and a condenser?
Your best bet is to delete the PMA back to TC Bros. They may be good, I don't know, but especially if there was nothing wrong with both your charging and ignition before there's no reason to put yourself through it. As 5T alluded to, there are people selling things nobody needs...

A Boyer ignition system will work with a PMA charging system. The trick is to use an original Banshee rotor/flywheel , a Banshee timing plate, a used original stator [honda,kawi etc] made in Japan not China. also a mounting plate that can be purchased from HHB. Also you need a good reg/rectifier such as a Shindengen FH020 . When you buy the "kit" they just put cheep parts together, you can't beet the old original Japanese quality. I run a PMA system with old OEM pieces and a Boyer ignition in a couple of XS's and they are fine. Sell your PMA stuff and call Gary Hoos[?] he sells a combo unit that is a bit expensive but gets good reviews. Good luck.

tim

Back