1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Points to GN250 Electronic Ignition Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jim, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Addict

Sweden
    That seems as a Splendid idea
    A steel washer attached on the rotor can save $ 150 --- $ 200 dollar in fabrication and realization costs and can be moved.
    And if need be a much smaller hole -- drilled for fastening. ..perhaps done without removing the rotor
    perhaps a quick small spot weld is possible MIG or TIG Some wet rags around for cooling that might be doable or other Maybe soldering with a gas flame . ..

MaxPete likes this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

It's called Soundcard Scope. It's basically for looking a sounds but it does have a (very basic and limited) voltage function. Still looking for a better one, but this one works for looking at waveforms and I use the Fluke to measure voltage.
    O-scope probes are here.
    Also made an adjustable voltage divider so's not to blow out the PC's soundcard. A bit of overkill I know. Here's the link for that.

v divider 2.jpg

v divide 3.jpg

MaxPete, gggGary and RustiePyles like this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

This whole project is supposed to be cheap and KISS. My goal is a simple trigger as close as possible to the TCI trigger.

MaxPete, gggGary and RustiePyles like this.
  4. Jim

This is interesting... set up the sensor I'd removed the magnet from and it's still a powerhouse. .025" gap, 1500rpm and it still cranks out well over a volt. The O-scope app is still choppin' at the peaks even at the lowest range. Switching the probe to X10 stopped that, so it's the app itself and not the sensor. Now I'm looking at researching whether or not this high a voltage is acceptable, or making a voltage divider to bring it down more in line with the TCI sensor.
    Also, the trace looks a lot smoother.

zz.jpg

no mag .025 gap 1500rpm.jpg

5. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Addict

Sweden
    IF someone fries one of those Gonzo Boxes .and it is .no longer working
    I would be interested to se pictures of the internals .If that is possible to get
    Especially if there is a controller inside that can be identified. Modell and type and Number
    AS well as if there are some signal processing electronics. On In signal ..
    The reason would be to read up about possibilities to reprogram.
    Perhaps Downloading and Uploading new code
    Which at times can be done .Manu tuners do that these days.
    Depending on capabilities ( if there is a controller )) ..It is not entirely impossible that advance curve or max advance can be adjusted via Reprogramming
    mr Sleddog and other can have a Professional background to add Knowledge just by taking a look at the pictures.
    This might be outside the Goal Spec of mr Jim
    But I believe a bit more Advance would be something that some rides would be interested in at High rev.
    And perhaps an adjustable curve is desirable.

6. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Still Looking Good Top Contributor

Jan_P likes this.
  7. Paul Sutton

Jim, has the thought crossed your mind to rewind the 400 Ohm coil former to give 700 Ohm? Very delicate work with that gauge of wire. Could be a new business line for you.

gggGary, MaxPete and YamadudeXS650C like this.
  8. Jim

It crossed my mind Paul... for about a half a second. ;) I can't keep up with the stuff I need to do now, I'm not adding to it.

Paul Sutton, gggGary and MaxPete like this.
  9. Jan_P

Jan_P XS650 Addict

Sweden
    Thank You very much Paul
    Yes it can be impossible to decode .. but that is a problem others have solved before.
    I can also see some legal aspects .. Someone out there owns that code and might
    object to take it out and modifying it . And using it
    I am not updated .. But was this not a Chinese copy. Of the box
    As the saying goes Business is Business . Their sales of TCI boxes can benefit of an adjustment in code from them directed towards
    XS 650 .. Which can be a huge market .. I believe in contrast to GN 250

Paul Sutton likes this.
  10. Jim

The TCI pickup Gary sent me arrived late yesterday. Thanks buddy. Installed it on the test stand today and got nothing for my efforts. Zip... won't run. I replaced the modified stator with a TCI one and still nothing. Thinking maybe I screwed up the wiring, I waved a magnet across the pickup and got good fat sparks from the plugs, so everything's wired correctly. I ran out of enough light to check, but I suspect I have too large a gap between the magnet and the pickup. I'm debating on swapping in a TCI rotor and measuring the distance... but I'm also thinking I need to be backin' out of this rabbit hole.
    My purpose in trying the TCI pickup was just to verify everything works as it should before I started modifying different pickups. By waving a magnet across the pickup, I effectively did that.
    So here we are... do I continue working out why a modified rotor won't work with this... um... modified setup, or do I press on with step 2 which is trying different modified pickups? I'll go up for air and ponder this overnight, but I'm leanin' toward moving on. There's bigger fish to fry than finding out why a bunch of non-TCI parts won't work with a TCI pickup.

Paul Sutton, Signal and gggGary like this.
  11. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Very commendable efforts Jim but, there comes a point when it gets less beneficial to carry on.
    I’m have gained something from this thread, and for that I thank you.

azman857, Paul Sutton and Jim like this.
  12. Paul Sutton

As Rasputin puts it, very commendable!!!! Also great work on providing the community with a rotor rewinding service.

Jim likes this.