Post pics of your painted motors !!

9521689A-orig.jpg

Wrinkle powder coat with painted top case /semi polished bottom case

I am planning on painting my engine, and this thread is providing great visuals for different combinations! I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread, but if anyone wants to add tips/tricks they used for the prep and paint process, or things to avoid doing when painting, that would also be a lot of help.

I paint professionally. I'd be glad to answer any questions. Don't take this wrong, but I can say I'm not looking to write a book about everything there is to know. But you ask a question and I'll explain.

I paint professionally. I'd be glad to answer any questions. Don't take this wrong, but I can say I'm not looking to write a book about everything there is to know. But you ask a question and I'll explain.

You are right, the way I asked my question left it waaay too open ended. Is it going to be beneficial to hang my parts from the rafters in my garage to get the best paint coverage? Do a lot of guys do that? Im mostly worried about dealing with the bottom of the engine and getting good coverage on my engine block. Im not a professional painter, but just don't want my finished product to look like shit. Thanks.

Do you have the engine out? If not, did you plan on doing it? I mean you can do a decent job with the engine in the frame. So it depends on what you are doing. I didn't take my engine out, didn't want to do it. So tell more.

My engine is out of the frame and I am doing a top end rebuild. I have been cleaning up all the parts and doing my best to remove any oil and grease. Right now, the top end is completely taken apart with the cylinders and pistons off. The plan was to paint the individual pieces, then rebuild everything (or am I backwards and is it easier to build the engine, then spray the entire thing?) I'm not planning on splitting the bottom cases, and right now it is bolted into a homemade engine stand. The engine stand doesnt really allow great access to the bottom, hence I was thinking about suspending everything so I could spray from any angle. It never crossed my mind that I could spray with the engine in the frame. My plan was similar to many of these posts: black with some polished accents here and there. I do have access to a spray gun, but I've never used it before so was planning on just using spray paint.

Well with engine out, its a no brainer, you paint it before its put back in frame. Do all machine work first, boring or honing. Then clean with a degreaser, followed by laundry detergent.Clean each piece a couple times. Then spray it off with clean air. If you have a spray gun, epoxy primer works great as a primer coat on engines. If you are doing with all spray cans, then might as well go right to the paint used. There are some engine primers available in spray cans as well. hanging the parts helps in many cases. Make sure temp is at least 60 degrees. Curing in an over helps, but don't use your inside oven.

Thanks PetesPonies, the info really helps! I realize a lot of this I should be able to figure out on my own, but its nice to know I'm on the right track.

here's my painted '77

used hi temp engine enamel
sanded fins after
scotch brited side covers

Attachments

• 933.jpg
    933.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 934.jpg
    934.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 500
  • 900.jpg