Post pics of your painted motors !!

Not the masterpiece some of you have posted but as my first I am proud enough to post mine.

Attachments

• IMG_3417.jpg
    IMG_3417.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 385
This is the same idea I had for my 650, but I was going for more of the brushed look on the side covers with a clear coat...
Now I'm thinking more on the lines of a gloss black from top to bottom with polished fins, and matte black side covers. But I'm just not sure how it would look.

I use the PJ1 engine case paint. It is a bit more durable to exposure to fuel and brake fluid than other spray can paint- not fuel proof but if you wipe off in a timely manner gas wont eat it up. My engine jug and head were off. I used a rotary tool with a sandpaper a cartridge roll to remove the paint off the edges. The edge of the fins on other bikes are flat making it easier but on the 650 the edges are rounded.

100_0771.jpg

100_0772.jpg

I've been pouring over numerous threads about painting engines, read some horror stories about VHT type enamel paints chipping on another forum, but all these here look top notch jobs.
I only saw one person mention primer in this thread.
What's the consensus on using primers and heat curing with these enamels? Do people get good results without primer or heat curing?

I've had pretty good luck so far (3years). No primer, no curing, besides the engine heat. I believe with anything like this, prep is the most important part. Most everything I painted had been sandblasted. No issues with those surfaces. I've had a few areas chip on a poorly prepped area of the transmission. Just make sure everything is clean and degreased.

Thanks bsdoig. My engine is 100% stripped so I'd be looking to paint parts individually, factor in build time I probably wouldn't get to run it for quite a while after that.

Any high heat paint will work but keep in mind even the best from a spray can- PJ1- is not even close to the durabilty of the factory coatings which are probably powder coated. Gas, brake fluid and oil will soften even desolve spray paint but at least touch ups are easy. In order for powdercoat the engine would need fully disassembled for the coater. I didnt want to open up and gut the case as it was solid with no leaks. When i work on my engines i lay down clean rags to absorb any fuel from the carbs and when i bleed the brakes i make sure no brake fluid gets on any painted surface.

I used a "cast aluminum" duplicolor high heat on the cases/head and semi-gloss black on the cylinders. Tappet covers, and timing covers were powder coated to matxh the frame. Pipes are ceramic coated.

Attachments

• 20180622_190059~01.jpg
    20180622_190059~01.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 206
Back