Post pictures of your neck rake mods

kelso

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have read every post on the site with "Rake" in the title but there are not a lot of pics in one place that show the different rake options in picture form. Post your bike and the amount of additional rake over stock 27 degrees.

Also, it would be great if you could add whether you made adjustments to the stock fork length and what ground clearance you ended up with, as well as the rim size setup you are running.

Last edited:
Here's my Chopper. 8 degree rake to 35 degrees. With 19" rim on the front now will have a 21 soon.
full

I took 1 inch out of the top tube and cut half way through the down tubes. Pic is with the slug installed.
full

I don't like neck plates but since I weakened the original tubes I figured I'd better do something. The plate reinforces the down tubes and the "tank" mount reinforces the backbone. The plates are fully welded now not just tacked like in the pics
full

I followed this guys raking instructions here: Baycity Design

I truly think that is the best way. I have done a few like that and it works great every time. Doing it like that is only about a hour job (minus gussets).

Forks are at stock length, I tried to stick around 4" of ground clearance but I'm guessing its about 3.5" It's on my reassembly table right now so I can't check. If I was running low pipes they would drag in the turns. I'm running high pipes though so as long as she'll lean 45deg without grinding the kickstand I'm happy. My trail is 7.2" so it's not gonna corner the best but it'll be a good straight line bike. When I upgrade to a girder I'll get the trail back down to 5-6.

I was on the fence about raking until I read SWbills thread. I'm sure you've read that one. XS's just look right when they are raked and hardtailed. I'll let you know in a couple months how it rides.

Got mine back today. 34 degrees and 3-4 1/2" stretch. With 21's front and back I should be running about 5" with stock forks.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 526
Back