potential first bike

Scotty_05

XS650 Member
Reaction score
New to the motorcycle world, always wanted my own bobber/rat bike. Come to the realization that I probably don't have the time nor knowledge to fully build one from scratch (getting a junker and converting it) So I have been window shopping and thought I asked for some advice.

I got my eye on a few but one as my interest the most but also as me the most stumped. and I don't want to approach the guy blindly.

The ad is on kijiji (I'm Canadian)
price: $800 CDN
make: Yamaha,
model: YZ
kilometers: 48,327
year: 1978
description: "summer project- parts included. original chopper bobber tank. YZ
3 carborator.
800.00 obo"
1.JPG

3.JPG

2.JPG

I can get my dad to aid me in the help of fixing it up to being road worthy, but I just don't know anything about the bike, isn't YZ a series of dirtbikes? which makes me think this bike will be way too slow for highway etc

Any info, thoughts, or advice before I contact the guy would be awesome or even questions to ask him off the get go? (he is a bit of a drive so an in person visit comes later)

two other bikes I'm considering are

1983 Yamaha XS 650, 24000km, $3700 CDN
does not currently run, needs minor work, sitting couple of years, tune up battery, price is firm.
a.JPG b.JPG

or

1973 Yamaha XS 650, 1000km, $4500 CDN
fresh engine rebuild out of an 80 xs650 with 1mm overbore, new brakes, pma system, battery, all lines and wires new etc
only thing he wished he did was new carbs, they have been rebuilt but left side is giving a bit of trouble. starts first kick
q.JPG t.JPG r.JPG w.JPG

My opinion........first bike, DIY frame looks real screwy, wouldn't touch that one. 2nd and third bikes.....too much money for what they are.

Scott

The first bike isn't an XS. An XJ or Maxim?
As a first bike I'd suggest you stay with a stock bike. The learning curve will be enough without the custom touch.
These take some regular maintenance and fussing with to run reliably and well. You may find it isn't the bike you want.
It will be easier to turn a stocker than a custom if you need to.

As an alternative you might look at a Honda VLX. They require less "keeping up" and unless you are a BIG guy, will get you around.

Weekendrider is right. Riding a MC is dangerous enough without having to deal with weird frame geometry, quirky handling, hack welding, questionable brakes, funky electrics, etc. Do yourself a favor and get a smallish stock bike and learn to ride first. You can always downgrade to that style later...

I imagine it was titled as a YZ because it was custom built and probably didn't have title prior to or wouldn't pass a custom inspection, cheap easy dirt bike title trick, shitty way to do it, but works I guess, personally I'd stay away from it, dealing with title shit can turn straight pits of hell, and people will pull every trick in the book to make there problem your problem.

Maybe bobbers should be like homebuilt ultralight aircraft, use at your own risk and no passenger. Maybe even ride your own build and not someone else's. Some people that I know real well have asked me about buying OLD bikes, many of them I have said, don't do it, you will never keep up with the maintenance, service is hard to find and cost prohibitive, and not understanding what is going on with that bike underneath you can be deadly.

Scott

The first bike is def a 750. I had the chance to see those similar 3 carbs in person the other day, I believe Hitachi. Complete garbage in my opinion. Not a fan at all, but certainly would experiment with a 750 some time in the future.

They can all be potential decent bikes. I'm not a fan of buying modified bikes (especially if I was a newbie), you just don't know what the PO did!!! But then again who wants to do all the work themselves if someone has already done it???

The true tests for any of these bikes (in my opinion) are:
1. Does the engine fire when cold? If so, how many kicks/flicks of the starter button are needed? - this is going to be hard to do because anyone that is going to sell a bike is going to start it and warm it up before showing it to a potential buyer. Best way to do this would be to have the PO shut off the bike, then sit there and talk to him/her for about 20 mins then have them start the bike again. If the owner has to sit there and fiddle with the idle screw or has to kick it 10 times to start it that would lead me to believe the bike hasn't been ridden or needs some major work.
2. Visible leaks, knocking/odd sounds from engine when warm. I once bought a pretty sweet Honda CB750 when I was younger. The owner said it was a great bike. Well, it sure started and had a minor leak, and sounded fine when I bought, soon to find out there were some severe valve issues that were pretty loud (guess I didn't notice or the PO put some heavier oil in it to hide the sound)
3. I would never buy a bike from someone who didn't know anything about the bike they are selling. Do your research, learn more about these bikes. Ask some questions when you go to see them. If the dude/dudette seems like they don't know jack shit, don't buy the bike. If it seems like they have a wealth of experience working on vintage bikes - think about buying it. Also, if you have buddy that knows vintage bikes, bring them along.

Either way, I have 3 XS myself, all have need work in some way, shape, form, or fashion. I'm not an expert, or claim to be. I just know that you want to be very careful because one of these bikes could be a money pit while another is solid and needs little work.

He probably didn't like what he heard, lol. I think he's dead set on getting a chopper. Custom bike ads are all he showed us, not one stock bike in the bunch. Fine, let him learn with his wallet. I find that's a very good teacher, lol. Higher education isn't cheap, just look at what college tuition costs.

Maybe bobbers should be like homebuilt ultralight aircraft, use at your own risk and no passenger. Maybe even ride your own build and not someone else's. Some people that I know real well have asked me about buying OLD bikes, many of them I have said, don't do it, you will never keep up with the maintenance, service is hard to find and cost prohibitive, and not understanding what is going on with that bike underneath you can be deadly.

Scott

Couldn't agree more. Well said!

Scotty: Welcome to the site.
Ages ago I got a non-runner, and it remained that way except for maybe 4 rides, one time fender fell off and bolts were lost, one time the police stopped me, one time I got a complete ride with my buddies but had to home before dark as lights did not work, one time blew an oil line.
So, save more money, get a dual sport or a Honda 125/250, small ninja, etc, learn to ride and do your own maintenance, start and keep an insurance policy going while you get your M2 exit, talk to riders you meet about your hopes and dreams, listen and learn.

Non-running stock bikes , that haven't been worked over, can be an excellent gamble. Usually they have been left to sit for years because of a simple problem like bad coil, faulty charging system, wiring problem, dirty fuel system and carburetors. Never take the sellers words as the final word on the condition of the bike, walk away from worked over bikes like silicone sealer showing on engine or carburetors. These engines can have very little wear on the engine parts if the oil was changed throughout their life, even after sitting for years.

Scott

Mine was parked because the clutch cable broke. Other than that, it was a running bike. Well, not when I got it of course, but about 10 years previously when the cable broke. But it needed lots more work than just that cable, lol. It was basic transpo for some kid. He did nothing to it in the way of preventive maintenance, only fixing stuff when it broke. And it leaked oil like a stuck pig, lol. It was filthy but after cleaning all that oil gunk off, it wasn't in too bad of shape underneath.

thanks for the tips guys, I was only looking at stock bikes for the past year but thought I skip a step and get one already converted to a hard tail etc but I see everyone votes against that and that is what I was looking for! so thanks for the help, not sure why some jumped on me saying I wouldn't be back? it hasn't even been 24 hours this thread as been up, cool it guys lol give a man some time to reply : )

No one "jumped" on you. Stay with us for 5-6 yr.s and you to will see other single post users/members.
I understand where you are coming from with "skip a step" plan also. And in my mind if you are already familiar with things mechanical and have ridden that plan can make sense. Sorry if my first impression, that you are new to riding and wrenching, was wrong.
Your first pick is a piece of shite. Period.
The next two may or may not be something worth looking at. BUT both lack front fenders and one a rear. While that may look bad boy cool, the spray from even a LIGHT shower isn't. One gets the exhaust behind you the other well, I have a loud bike and it isn't the one that gets ridden any distance. Now if you are looking to ride to the bar have a few brews and sit outside gunning the throttle, between shouts of fauk yah, right arm, and kewl then it may fit your bill.
Neither of those can carry a passenger and when I was younger that was kinda important for me. No not kinda, females were the reason I ran the streets.
Neither of those bikes are advertised as needing nothing to ride.
You asked for our opinion that is what you are getting. No cost, so no harm, no foul.

Scotty how new you are to riding and wrenching should dictate your bike, and I mean that in the chillest way. If this is very new to you, don't buy a project. Old rule of thumb, always have a reliable daily driver before a project, if your first bike is a project you'll grow to despise it, I've seen it happen to many friends who wanted to get into the chop scene, who many years and much dust later sold there builds at a loss. Get something solid and easy, learn maintenance first, then advance as you go. I know it's the long hard road, but those are the roads that make bikers what they are

I work on my own car and atv so I'm not mechanically impaired as I can do my own maintenance on them. But on the flip side I'm not overly familiar with bikes or the level of detail it takes to build one. But I rather take my time and learn then buy someone else's custom and a) not enjoy it as much as a self built and b) worry about their possible mistakes. It was the time crunch and lack of space that pushed me to look at the bikes posted above but that's over with now :p back to my original plan

So to my knowledge, the key things to alter or at least the things I know I want to do are:

-hardtail weld on kit
-cut fenders, and added small cushion on the rear fender for a +2 which means added foot pegs onto frame :p
-new seat
-exhaust tube redirect? / muffler delete or replaced depending how loud it is, I rather an exhaust cutout I can flip to for db's then a constantly over the top loud bike
-low profile keystone type handle bars
-new gas tank that I can install a fuel sight gauge in
-new headlight, and turn signals
-not sure if I need the fake oil can for electrics if I'm rocking a kick start? something I can research into
-I don't want to mess with the front at all, hopefully the stock forks etc will look good as is
-new wheels
-not worried about pant, I plan on changing it up every few years as I'm not going for a professional by any means so a diy rattle can theme it is
-less is more for me, I want a lightweight looking bike

some of my inspirations:
7505b6b61d28c26a1086601b9ae4be94.jpg b87c5b17fda55e305e2f46864c735d62.jpg e161425e247b5d3a0d331959d29e280d.jpg tumblr_ml3f78pV0Y1rerf3fo3_r1_400.jpg

I don't have much experience riding motorcycles, maybe a dirt bike here and there, I've grown up riding ATV's all my life so the open air isn't new to me just the two wheel part lol

Back