powder coating engine

masonxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, new here, first bike build. its a 77 motor with an 81 drop seat hardtail frame, I've done some searching and can't find a definite answer to my question. i was wondering if i were to buy to stock bore big fin jugs from mikesxs would i be able to powder coat them, or would i have to worry about the sleeves warping and having to get them resized again? thanks, newb.

I would not powdercoat anything that needs to dissipate a lot of heat. Side cases are one thing, but finned jugs? Maybe if black.

I powder coated(black) the 750 jugs from Mikes 4-5 years ago and they are holding up very well. My engine is using the stock cam and rejetted carbs. It's a very mild state of tune. I figured most of the high heat is in the head and the 750 jugs that mike's sells have more fin area than the stock cyls. too. I don't think it runs any hotter than normal. One caution, If you decide to do it, warn your powder coater to hang them with the top up. If you hang them in the bake oven upside down the iron liners fall out when they heat up! Don't ask how I know, it's not the end of the world, and they did not warp. Some of the XS's even had the cyls. painted black from the factory too so it can't be that big a deal. Oh, mines a 77 standard also.

I powder coated(black) the 750 jugs from Mikes 4-5 years ago and they are holding up very well. My engine is using the stock cam and rejetted carbs. It's a very mild state of tune. I figured most of the high heat is in the head and the 750 jugs that mike's sells have more fin area than the stock cyls. too. I don't think it runs any hotter than normal. One caution, If you decide to do it, warn your powder coater to hang them with the top up. If you hang them in the bake oven upside down the iron liners fall out when they heat up! Don't ask how I know, it's not the end of the world, and they did not warp. Some of the XS's even had the cyls. painted black from the factory too so it can't be that big a deal. Oh, mines a 77 standard also.
thank you for the reply, and thanks for the warning!!! i will be powder coating them black wether its black wrinkle or regular i haven't decided ill get some answers from the powder coater.

Back