price of petro in UK

I think it's about £1.38 per litre, that's the fancy stuff that's supposed to give you more oomph. Normal unleaded is about £1.34 per litre I think.

There is about 4.54L to the gallon if that helps

I live across the road from a petrol station .Unleaded is 1.29 a litre
4.5 litres to a gallon = £5.80 a gallon . In US dollars a gallon of fuel in the UK therefore costs $ 9.86

Petrol is £1.29 per litre where I live
There are 4.5 litres to the UK gallon but US gallons are smaller, 3.79 litres to the US gallon
US dollar is £0.59
I make it $8.28 for a US gallon
$9.84 for a UK gallon

We pitched that oversize gallon in the 1770's. Are your cups, pints, and quarts bigger too?

Ellis county Texas (NOT next to the interstate): $3.42 for 87 octane (E-10, of course, just about all you are going to get in Texas nowadays, unless you want to pay over $4.00 per gallon and haul it home from the marina in jugs)

We pitched that oversize gallon in the 1770's. Are your cups, pints, and quarts bigger too?

Hi Ace,
no, you stayed with the Queen Anne Wine gallon when the Brits switched to the Imperial gallon.
note that these numbers are from Machinery's Handbook
1 US gallon = 128 US fluid oz. 1 imperial gallon = 160 Imperial fluid oz.
But wait! There's more! The US fluid oz.is bigger than the Imperial fluid oz.
(1.805 cu. inch vs 1.732 cu. inch)
Cups are about the same except there's 2 cups in a US 16oz. pint and 3 cups in an Imperial 20 oz. pint so yeah, US quarts are smaller than Imperial quarts.
There's a theory that the US revolution was not triggered by dumping the Factor's overpriced tea into Boston Harbor at all.
It was the Factors buying spirits by the 20 oz pint, selling it by the 16 oz. pint and drinking the difference free at the colonist's expense.

I think they are doing it to us again.

Attachments

• IMG_3830.jpg
    IMG_3830.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 89
Might have something to do with compensating for dick size. Was 1770 around the time the Poms lost the US back to the locals ?

Hi pcoumbe,
as I understand it, 1770 was the year that the Queen Anne Wine Gallon was established as the British Empire's "official gallon".
1776 was the year the British Colonists in 13 States in North America started the rebellion against their German King and his Hessian mercenaries.
After the dust settled from that lot the newly formed USA never got round to upgrading their fluid measuring system.
Which means that although us stay at home Brits were still under the thumbs of the upper classes we could at least get a full 20oz pint of beer.

Dam there's some smart s.o.b's on here. I'm just a dumb ass welder. Maybe we should quite screwing around with bikes and build rocket ships or take over the world .... jk

Unleaded in Philippines 2nd May 2014
php 53.00ltr x 4.5 = php 238.50 imperial gallon
php 1 = USD 0.023
238.50 X 0.023 = $5.48 or close to on average or say $5.50/gal average

and thanks for the bit of history fredintoon

Back