probably the dumbest question (re: top speed)

maxwell

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, i'm not going to lie to you guys, my first bike was an xj1100. That bike had no problem going 110+ and i had no problem putting it up there. My hard tail, at 60, seems like it's trying SOOO hard. I don't mean i'm not trying it anywhere near wot or anything like that, but at a quarter throttle or so the motor is spinning so high that i'm just nervous about taking it higher.

My dad tried to tell me that these are twin bikes and they tend to wind a little high.

What are you guys comfortably riding at? especially hardtail guys, or guys with drag pipes.... Am i just being a pussy?

UGH. FUCK, NOT V-TWIN. sorry. boy oh boy, is my face red right now ahahaa.

alright, so just let it rip then?

::shrugs:: alright man. i don't give a fuck about me, it's the bike that i'm trying to look out for. fuck it though lol

It's nearly a requirement now a days to switch the rear sprocket for a smaller one. An xs650 can cruise at 95mph all day with the right gearing and top out at 127mph.

So what kind of gearing should i be looking for? i'm a stock 34 right now. How low can i go?

and how do you like it if you don't mind me asking? how's crusing speed at around 60 mph? how's low end on that?

yeah, i saw after i posted this one. great GREAT thread.. but i think the lowest someone had there was a 29 tooth? anyone have any 28's or anything?

29 you have to find a sprocket company for. 28 would be the same.
29/17 = 1.71
28/17 = 1.64
30/18 = 1.67

30/18 is taller gearing than 29/17 and is almost as just putting the 28 on there.

I'm not sure what the smallest rear you can get away with, but I'm sure someone might.

Once again post it up in that thread and find out!

Go to the 30 on the rear, if that's not enough, go to the 18 front. If that's not enough, put Mikes overdrive 5th gear in it. Higher gearing will make a big difference.

Also, be sure that the bike is in good tune, it does matter.

John

I wouldn't shorten the chain, you could always swap gears back without having to lenghten the chain if you just leave it the same length.

it depends on where your axle is sitting in the dropouts. if it's all the way back now you will probably have to remove a link..

my 34t was about halfway, i put on a 30 and it moved back one notch

Back