Putting rubbers on

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0263.jpg

Since all of you have built many bikes in the past---what's the best way to get the rubber on the kick start, brake, and shifter? I have put them on before but it was a struggle and I am hoping to find a better way.

Yeah, I know--I am sure everyone loved the name to this thread right?

Put rubber in pot of water, put pot on stove. When water is boiling rubber is ready to be put on. Wear gloves.

Hi jsmith,
it works like putting those other rubbers on, it takes a special lubricant.
Except the lubricant goes inside the rubber instead of outside.
I'd say use WD-40 ahead of dielectric grease.
Both will get the rubber on but there may be different after-effects.
My bar grip installs have shown that WD-40 dries up to let the rubber grip tightly.
Perhaps dielectric grease would stay to let your kickstart and shifter rubbers rotate in use?
Or would you prefer that?

We use windex at work for bike grips etc. Lubricates well and dries completely. WD-40 stays slick longer, which if you're not going to use it immediately is fine, but you have to resist the urge to play with the part before it dries. +1 on warming before install, especially if it's a really tight fit.

I always use dishwashing soap. It dries quick and your rubber won't slip. Of course, I've never had that problem.

Insert a thin blow gun tip into the gap wiggle and move a bit, the rubber goes on and off much easier. I use this and easily remove even old hand grips. Take gary's favorite home tool; some windshield wiper stainless steel strip, push it into gap, work it around while pushing the rubber on. It it helps work it past rough spots and ridges. This also lets you get lube under the old rubber part to remove without wrecking it.

I am LMAO at the replies because I can't help but think we are talking about "wrapping the rascal". When you read the replies with that in mind, it's damn funny. such as:
...........Insert a thin blow gun tip into the gap wiggle and move a bit................push it into gap, work it around while pushing the rubber on. It it helps work it past rough spots and ridges. This also lets you get lube under the old rubber part to remove without wrecking it.
and:
..............I always use dishwashing soap. It dries quick and your rubber won't slip.
and:
.............but you have to resist the urge to play with the part before it dries. +1 on warming before install, especially if it's a really tight fit.
Sorry, my mind is in the gutter.

Back