Question/ unplugging reserve lighting

Tommy, you may have to do some diagnostics to work out what that lower light on the tower represents. All 78SE/79SF sent to the US, Oceania, Canada and other countries had a White,"Headlight failure" warning light on the bottom of the tower.

US 78SE. Some Countries had a 220Kph speedo
View attachment 100485

Japan 78SE
View attachment 100486

Does either of the red tower lights come on when the key is turned on, then goes out after the bike is started and revved up.??........... As a charging light would
Just noticed the example of the Jap speedo is my bike at the importers just before i bought it!!!!

I had looked at that bike a couple of times and downloaded the pics...............Used the pics and frame no for a model confirmation. I have some pics of another 78SE Jap import, no where near the condition of your Blue on though.

I had looked at that bike a couple of times and downloaded the pics...............Used the pics and frame no for a model confirmation. I have some pics of another 78SE Jap import, no where near the condition of your Blue on though.
Wow small world! Man this bike is awesome! Was the other burgundy?

Tommy, you may have to do some diagnostics to work out what that lower light on the tower represents. All 78SE/79SF sent to the US, Oceania, Canada and other countries had a White,"Headlight failure" warning light on the bottom of the tower.

US 78SE. Some Countries had a 220Kph speedo
View attachment 100485

Japan 78SE
View attachment 100486

Does either of the red tower lights come on when the key is turned on, then goes out after the bike is started and revved up.??........... As a charging light would
Hey skull & nj1639, solved, the translation for the sticker; "Speed warning light" that would explain why the light comes on at 80km! Now to get rid of it.....

I've gotten to the point of where I yank the reed switch from the speedos along with their wiring......I'll manually turn the indicators off when I'm good and ready, thank you.

There may be something like that in the speedo too for that warning light, prolly pretty simple.

I've got an '82 Heritage and the headlight wouldn't come on. Searched and found this thread. My bl/bk and bl/y wires are right next to each other so I just pushed a spade connector over the two pins to jump them. Crank bike and no headlight.....until I stick an alligator clip jumper wire down in the spade and touch it to the hot side of battery. All I have to do is touch the hot side, not leave it connected. Once you turn the key off, then back on and crank again, you have to touch the hot side jumper or the headlight won't come on. If you just turn the off switch on right side handlebar switch the headlight stays on. Why doesn't the headlight come on without the hot jumper like it seems to be for all in this thread?

I've got an '82 Heritage and the headlight wouldn't come on. Searched and found this thread. My bl/bk and bl/y wires are right next to each other so I just pushed a spade connector over the two pins to jump them. Crank bike and no headlight.....until I stick an alligator clip jumper wire down in the spade and touch it to the hot side of battery. All I have to do is touch the hot side, not leave it connected. Once you turn the key off, then back on and crank again, you have to touch the hot side jumper or the headlight won't come on. If you just turn the off switch on right side handlebar switch the headlight stays on. Why doesn't the headlight come on without the hot jumper like it seems to be for all in this thread?

Off the top of me head here, there's a yellow wire that comes off the stator with a bullet connector on it. If that's not connected you'll have no headlight with the RLU bypassed. Look around the multi plug from the stator where it connects to the harness under/around the battery box. If it's plugged in then I dunno.

The headlight relay will only latch when the yellow wire gets voltage from a WORKING alternator. No headlight is a sign your bike isn't charging.
Note that the relay latches on, even if the alternator fails or engine quits while riding the headlight remains on.

The headlight relay will only latch when the yellow wire gets voltage from a WORKING alternator. No headlight is a sign your bike isn't charging.
Note that the relay latches on, even if the alternator fails or engine quits while riding the headlight remains on.

Just my luck. The guy I traded for this bike sent me this rotor swearing it was good, guess not.

You need to connect the blue to the blue/yellow in the harness plug, in order to keep the headlight working.
Hey guys, I need your help. I have a 1980 XS650 Special G Model, and the headlight does not work all of a sudden, but everything else (tail light, brake light, horn, starter, etc.) work fine. I confirmed that my sealed headlight works and that the fuse is good. So I've tried pulling the RLU and jumping the blue to blue/yellow with no success. I also tried jumping the blue to blue/black, but again zippo. Any other thoughts on how I can resolve this before insanity sets in?

Sorry about the mistake. I tried jumping the Blue/Y to Blue and the Blue/Y to Blue/Black, but neither of these worked. Suggestions before too much more riding time is lost?

As mentioned above, the headlight won't come on if your charging has stopped. I would make a charging check my 1st step. Clip your voltmeter to your battery. At idle you should see around 12 volts, revved to 3K that should climb to the low 14's.

Thanks guys. I did a better job of jumping the wires and while the engine is running the lights appear to be working fine. Since I want to keep this particular bike as original as possible I think I'll try and source a NOS RLU. I really appreciate your swift response and good suggestions. Now to get out and ride while the sun shines.

You need to connect the blue to the blue/yellow in the harness plug, in order to keep the headlight working.
Hi there, are the colour to be linked together the same on a 1981 model? The plug it’s slightly different.

Back