Questions on spoked rims

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Disclaimer: This is for a Suzuki GT550, not a Yamaha XS

However, a spoked rim is a spoked rim, n'est-ce pas?

I have a used replacement 18" rim for the GT. Overall, it's in good shape and runs pretty true, but it has one missing spoke and three bent spokes. So, questions:

1. Is there any reason I can't just replace the missing/bent spokes and true it up?

2. Is there any reason I can't do it with used spokes? I haven't exhausted the possibilities yet, but but I'm seeing full sets for $40 to $80 which seems like a waste of money when I only need 4.

Yes, you can just replace the missing spokes. Yes, you could do it with used ones but the 650 spokes from Mike's may very well work. I did some T500 wheels using them. They are about 150mm long. I have loose ones I could get exact measurements from if you need them.

Providing you use spokes identical to the ones already in the wheel as not all spokes from different bikes have identical angles and heads.

The outer spokes should be easy to replace. The inners you can't very well.
You would need to take out enough of the outers to replace the inners. If you go that far it may be just as easy to completely relace the wheel.
Leo

Well, I'm down to just one outer that needs to be replaced, so as soon as I can scrounge one up, I'm good.

The outer spokes should be easy to replace. The inners you can't very well. - - -
Leo

Hi Leo,
sure you can.
Bend the spoke into a U-shape to thread it through all the others then straighten it when it's in place.
Tightening the spoke nipple will pull most of the ripples out.
My KSS Velocette had a nasty habit of popping the heads off it's rear wheel spokes and it was always the inners.
At least, the inners are the ones that I remember.
Did that bent-straight-again spoke look perfect?
Well, no, but you had to know what to look for and it sure took less time than a full re-lace.

Back