quick throttle de-tune ('71)

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
Hi, guys.
Ive been jerked around too many times by these 71 38's. Toomanyxs1b Had posted the early carbs used a throttle arm on the carbs with a quicker action, maybe for sales? Xsjohn tweaked the arms on his 34's to achieve this. I dunno. don't like it.
I have a set of 74 carbs with the longer arms, and looking at how the throttle stops and the way the return springs are attached, doesn't look like I can just swap the arms. Or can I? I have these 38's dialed in pretty good, I really don't want to rebuild and tune another set of 38's just for this reason.
If this 71 was my only bike, Im sure I would just get used to it, but, poor me, I have 3 running bikes all with varuios stages of carburation, and each one acts different.
I like the pulley idea, but if I can just switch arms, that's the way to go.
Also, the early 38 arms are chromed, the later one aren't. Straightening the arm is not an option.
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• IMG_1052_zpswxnarfzc.jpg
    IMG_1052_zpswxnarfzc.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 3
Here's Angus67's previous thread on this issue:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41086

Dug around out there and found the remnants of that 50-60s car radio pulley.
It's 2" in diameter, pressed from 0.016" sheet steel.
Thin enuff to fit under the throttle shaft nut like a washer.
The offset was just right to match the cable offset...

Attachments

• RadioPulley1.jpg
    RadioPulley1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 200
that's my thread. I am paying attention. No money=no beer. Maybe I can get some $hit done today.

Too many, you suggested setting the timing so its between the tdc and f marks. Did that. Seemed to have curbed this tiger alittle. Couldn't go out on the road, found some raspberry vodka my friend gave me a few years ago.

just put a few handfulls of raspberries in a gallon of cheap vodka, a cup of sugar, let it sit until the berries break down, then run the mix thru a strainer. Takes a couple weeks.

Back