Rat bike change #?

nj1639

Paleo-simplistic
Top Contributor
Reaction score
ratbikechange5-29-10002.jpg

'83 Special.
Reworked some used mac headers. Got the cheapo flanges off and replaced with the stock ones off a pair of junk pipes. Cut the stock inserts off where the 2 pipes , inner and outer, attach. Worked the ring, where the mac flanges connect to the header, off. Re-assembly was 1 exhaust gasket, stock insert, header and buttoned down with the stock flange. Using an aftermarket set of emgo mufflers for now. Thinking of cutting the forward (engine side) end of the baffles off, would like to get a lower rumble. Anyone ever played around with the emgo baffles?

LOL Blood! Now thas a rat.
Thanks Kent.
Pipes are now 58" from head to tail. Using the stock insert, 1 1/8 inlet. Outlet on the muffs is 5/8". Headers are 1.5" od. Looking for the rumble.

Start drilling holes in the back plates of the Emgos?

I'm gonna dik around with some baffles I've got and see what I can configure. I'm thinking that the output should be the same as the input-1 1/8". I don't want to fool around with the jetting and such as it runs great.
:thumbsup: You may be on to something there Gary. There's 3 circular ornamentations surrounding the emgo outlet. May drill them out. Hmmm

I had some megaphones, albeit MAC... without the baffles in place and they were obnoxious. No deep rumble, just a loud, hollow, tinny, fart sound.
Just my opinion. :shrug:

Took the baffles out of the emgos and cut 11" off the ass end. Took her out for a 15 mile loop and I must say, not bad. Not too loud and the rattyness is gone. No noticeable flat spots and no popping. I can ease her along with a gentle rumble, albeit mild, or crank it out with a gentle roar. Works good chasing the deer out of the road, clutch and throttle and they're gone.
This was all initiated by a near T-bone with a school bus that was rolling out of a stop. They WILL hear me next time.

Start drilling holes in the back plates of the Emgos?

Yep. Drilled 3 more holes in each baffle. About 5/16's diameter, whatever diameter those ornamental rings are. Had to drill 3 in the opposite end of the baffle can to co-respond. Inlet is 1 1/8, outlet is 5/8 plus 5/16 x 3, whatever that equates to. Asked the wife if it was loud and she said, "It's a motorcycle." Asked the youngest daughter, she said, " Yeah, but not as loud as some."
Took it out on a loop run and I'm pleased. Seems to have a better flow. Pulls like a fresh mule. Loud, but not as loud as some. Turning to come up the ridge from River Road, I'd have to drop her in first, now she does fine in 2nd.
XSJohns needles and jets
8-1 compression and retard
2 over bore
airbox mod
throttle mod
17/30 gearing
etc. etc. One of a kind (around these parts)

Back