Rat bike change #?

I love this bike. I have an 83 , I am going to use a few of your ideas. Would an older seat fit on the bike if I change out the read fender? 70's flat seat.

Yo Wiz, thanks,
You shouldn't have to change the fender if you go with something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHRO...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1d7360c5
If you go with the earlier stock tail light then you should get the rear fender too as the stock tail light uses 4 mounting holes as opposed to the lucas' 3. The lucas requires a bit longer mounting bolts than what is supplied with the lamp when purchased....no biggee. I ran the earlier stock style for a while but I'm a fan of the old brit bikes and the stock light stuck out like a pimple on yer nose.

On the seat....the '83 has that mounting fork in the front which could be mounted on just about any style of seat you choose, just need to find a way to secure the back end. On the stock seat I found that my hip loints didn't appreciate a long ride so I trimmed the sides and back end down, moved the seat back a bit to a comfort zone and fitted what was left to a fiberglass pan that I fabbed up. Had to trim off some of the stock mounts from the frame so there's no going back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have a bid on for a 75' rear fender w/ tail light .. if I win I think i'll use that. It's good to know the older stock stets may fit too. I just put a "superbike" handle bar on, looks great.. might not be the best for long rides though.

I watched your video before I got my bike, that was a big deciding point for my choice. thanks!

Hey beaver, thanks for the compliment! Those shocks are from tas motorsports http://www.tasclassicmotorsports.com/ ....11 inchers around 80+ bucks. Lowering the rear can put the bike more vertical while on the sidestand and to compensate you can either raise the front ( I was running an xs750 conversion for a while..+ 1 3/4" ) or you can tighten the shocks to their highest setting with the stock forks, which I have now. The ride is a bit stiff....mebbe a bit like a hardtail.... but the geometry is closer to stock now...better on the tight turns.

Thanks for the reply. I have a bid on for a 75' rear fender w/ tail light .. if I win I think i'll use that. It's good to know the older stock stets may fit too. I just put a "superbike" handle bar on, looks great.. might not be the best for long rides though.

I watched your video before I got my bike, that was a big deciding point for my choice. thanks!

Thanks Wiz....you may have to fab some mounts on the '75 fender. The Specials have a 'cup' that supports the forward part of the fender while the blinkers support the rear. With a little ingenuity anything can work though. I, myself, will one day have the longer rear fender so I look forward to your endeavor.

The rear fender on the standards have the cups as well, looking at them I am pretty sure they are a straight swap although i must admit i havent done it

Latest change up...'79 Special seat. I had taken all the upper protuberances off the seat rail some time ago and fabbed a fiberglass pan to redo and lower the seat. However, there was a body line gap that annoyed me to no end, so....I got a '79 seat, thank you racerdave, and trimmed the center of the pan out. I then pop riveted the glass pan to the remaining edge of the '79 pan, used the '83 seat forks for securing the front end and am using a passenger strap to hold down the rear...I may work on a couple of snaps to replace the strap. Soooo....I've gotten rid of the 'flying brick' tail light and have a seat that flows with the bikes lines a bit better.
7475787983001.jpg

Yo beav...pm me an address, I've got some things for ya.....
7475787983002.jpg

I just got a used Honda seat early 80's maybe off a smaller bike.. it's 2 parts and changes the look of the bike a lot.. I am working on how to mount it. The 83' seat is just so dated.

Beautifull day today. As she sits....almost stock but not for an '83.
10-8-11001.jpg

Had an ol' boy walk up to me while filling up the other day. "Man, that's a nice bike! That's a really nice bike!" as he eyeballed and kept going. Not sure what he was comparing it too but I said thanks!
10-8-11002.jpg

Got rid of the holdown strap. Strategically put some snaps on the rail.
10-27-11001.jpg

Need to find a '79 Special grab bar to give me something to hold onto while setting her onto the service stand.
10-27-11002.jpg

Alternator cover fabbed from a debris screen off the top of a Briggs and Stratton 12 horse mower....plenty of air circulation. Still have to use spacers to keep the screen from hitting the internals, also the screen is beveled to match the contour of the original cover.
altcover004.jpg

altcover005.jpg

i just re-read this entire thread, and am always reminded of how easy and quick it is to change the look so dramatically.
i like the look of your bike in the beginning when you were foolin with the emgo muffs, and the change to the spokes, i dont like mags that much.
I think I like your current configuration the best so far.
750 forks,(are 750 forks air?) 79special seat standard tank, and that small swatch of red on the under side of the tank helps even out all the black.
maybe re-post a video with the new/old pipes?

I'm back to the stock forks for the time being....need to rebuild the 750's. That red on the tank is an old paint job that was covered in black and then magically re-appeard as I was doing some wet sanding to re-black after a few small scratches and some gas spill. Down the middle top I took it down to a bit of old green that's below the red.
This bike is a lot of fun but takes up too much of my time, according to my Honey. Well, better time is spent at home than at the bar, no matter what yer doin'.
Here's a relatively recent vid of the pipes that are on her now......
http://www.youtube.com/user/nj1639?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/RpZNpEcRPHU

haha. my pet always gives greif about the three mc's in my garage taking up space, but i just point out to her mc's dont need feeding, dont leave road apples everywhere, and most importantly, don't have a mind of there own, unlike her horse that needs hooves trimed, constant feed, cleaning, and bucks us off all the time. I also point at the half acre I could put a shop on if it wer'nt for her horse.
and the thing about the bar.... I do it anytime i can.

Back