Rat bike change #?

I hear ya with the horse....my Honey keeps goats, 'cept we haven't tried to ride them. Then there's the rough cedar sided goat barn that if we didn't have any goats....well.....she'd prolly put more chickens in.

Had to take a trip back to the ancestral grounds for family.....and 2 more 650's. I'll be bringing back a '77 Standard, 7 k miles, titled but with a stuck engine. Appears to have been sitting outside for some years....also an '80 parts bike, all there except the air box covers w/no title and last, a supposedly rebuilt 80 engine..
I had made mention to my mentor that my '83 was complete to my satisfaction and that I was ready for a new project. Turns out he was wanting to do some spring cleaning of his stable......just need to get them home now.......

Toys.jpg

Last edited:
I put 4 to 5 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole and then worked on the crank with a breaker bar. This engine is now freed up. Yeah, I'm smiling. Next up is to test compression and check out these BS 38's. I'm looking forward to the pre EPA xs650, though the points are going to be interesting.......not skeered yet.

Now that I have the Standard I think I'll full circle the Special.....well almost. It is what it is. Liken to believe the Specials are more apt to one up riding, bobbed, chopped
or stock....something about the forward lean of the shocks. The Standard seems to suggest 2 up.
Checked compression on the now freed '77......85 on the left and 80 on the right. It's good that they're close , thinking-hoping that they'll re-seat to a better number. Checked compression on the 80 parts bike and got a nice 150-155. My 8-1 compression runner gave me 135.
Going to look into those bs 38's soon and then some electrical.

Pulled the original, dead, dry, swollen battery out and put in a used one reading 6 volts....put her on the charger. Getting 12.5+ volts now and went to chasing voltage. All lights working, even the turn signals. Not bad for one that's been sitting for 27 years. Hit the starter button and she turns over. 12 volts at the coils, 12 volts at the points and no spark to the plugs that I can tell. Not sure what I'm supposed to be reading here.
BS38's installed and a tank rigged to feed. Overflowing on the right carb......will need to do that over again. Eating an elephant.

Last edited:
In the mean time.....4 over on the '83. '70's style.
4over001.jpg

I'll give the '77 more of a slightly modified stock look. I'm thinking mood riding will be in order.......nice to have choices.

'77 update......it's alive!
I removed the stock harness in it's entirety, unmolested, and cobbed an '80 in its place along with the stock TCI setup. Good Grief! What a pain in the ass......removing the safety relays and that reserve lighting unit and all the wiring that went with them both....trying to read the simplified versions but keeping turn signals and the '77's light switch. May have been easier to wire from scratch. Then the anxiety of hoping everything was wired correctly before attempting a start. A few checks with the tone ohm meter and I was feeling better about possibly not frying everything. I've put a set of 34's on as the 38's were leaking on the right side......something that will be looked into in time. I charged the battery, gassed up the tank and cranked her over. A few turns and she coughed. A few more turns and she sprang to life!
Tons more to do but at least she's a runner!

Yep, metal mesh cover. Came off my almost worn out Murray riding lawnmower. Last spring the engine on the mower was kinda seized from sitting so I took the debris screen off the top to put a breaker bar to the crank. I had been using spacers to keep the alternator cover open a bit for cooling purposes on the xs and when I saw the mesh debris screen I thought hmmmm. I used the alternator cover as a template to trim the screen down and work the convex shape in. Still need some spacers to hold her out from the electrics. I've seen where some will drill a bunch of holes in the leading side of their sidecovers to catch some air......this is easily returned to stock if need be.

Yeah, I'd really like to drill holes through my case and that cover. But it seems too risky and too permanent. That's a really cool idea with what you did! I think I'm gonna visit the hardware store and look for a heavy mesh guard to trim up and fabricate on.

Back