Rat bike change #?

pair001.jpg

The right bs38 carb float has a hole in it, for now I'm running a set of 34's. It's been a while since I've ridden stock gearing, lots of pep for these hills and hollers.
The stock tank had a mix of gas and water that had been sitting in it since 1985, yeah, a freaking mess. Right now I have 3 gallons of white vinegar in it, gonna give that a try and see how it goes. The tank exterior itself is not in terrible shape- one small ding that should push out from the inside, some rust spots on the top that if I can find a duplicolor I may work on........

As they say "the proof of the pudding is in the tasting."
Here's a shot into the tank after having put some 5% acidity White Vinegar into the tank yesterday. Not having but 3 gallons available for the 3.9 gallon tank you can clearly see the line. Thank you EMBER!
This forum rocks.
vinegarrustremover001.jpg

That turned out pretty good! Now you just need to put the vinegar back in and reposition the tank. Or buy more vinegar! :)

Here's the '77D with some mods.
77Drat001.jpg

Took the seat foam and cover off a '79 Special and put it on the '77's Standard seat pan. Gotta keep the air box to seat lines.
Lucas style tail light. Mags.

Shortened the turn signals today.
77Drat005.jpg

Picked up some ratty old airbox covers and rattlecanned them. Note the BS 34's. Had to grind the covers back a bit for the fit to the carbs.
77Drat003.jpg

Under the Standard air box covers is the airbox for the BS 34's.
77Drat004.jpg

The tank was spotted from sitting 27 years so I hit the surface rust spots, taped the tank emblem and spray bombed away.
77Drat002.jpg

Suits me fine

Last edited:
I'm running what were a pair of virgin 1980 34's on my '77. Popped the caps off the idle screws and set them 3 1/4 out, stock mains and pilots, needles shimmed with gggGarys' radio shack washers and so far, quite pleased with the results. Having been running the 8-1 compression on my '83 since its top end rebuild I now have experienced stock compression and understand the debates that went on between XSjohn and TTmaniac on the old 650rider forum. That being said, it's nice to have options.....

That was one I cobbled together using the fiberglass pan from the pic posted 8/22/10, along with the stock Special seat foam trimmed down and the old Special cover, deconstructed to fit overall. I always felt like I was going to slide off the back of the bike while running that one.....

Couple of shots of the '77. Took her out for a bit of a dustoff....kinda ratty but runs grand.
seventyseven002_zpsa866e92c.jpg

BS 34's with Uni's under a set of crap tins I got for zip. Had to grind a bit of the forward section of the tins to fit over the 34's as the 34's are a little longer than the stock 38's.
Seat is a '79 Special...trimmed the foam sides to fit flat on the Standard pan and then pulled the cover down tight overall.....decorative trim and the Standard grab strap. Need to trim the stems on a chrome set of blinkers for the rear.
seventyseven001_zps1bef8a6e.jpg

I must say this bike is a pleasure to ride. Starts up first or second kick having set for a week, pulls strong, sounds great with no funny engine noises and no crazy vibrations at any speed (up to 75mph....I'm old). I did have some fits getting the 34's dialed in with some plugged circuits compounded with a plug cap issue. Bench synced and then using my ears for the exhaust note on both sides....Gary's shim washers in the carbs, Autolite 65 in the left cylinder and a 64 in the right, 18/32 gearing. I'll get her cleaned up good one of these years.

Last edited:
XSJohn (rip) made the suggestion some years ago. He was in to trying to equalize the operating temp differential between the two cylinders and then to lower them both overall, so his needles, shims, custom main jets and the plugs were to lower the engine operating temps....there must be a temp difference in the plugs operation.....dunno....following blindly here but plugs look great and the engine runs great.

I just revisited some old PM's and have to say I must suffer from CRS. John suggested 65 in the left and 64 in the right.....I'll check myself and make the change if need be. There was an issue with having to grind the head of the plug down to fit the NGK caps, which I had done on my '83, but the last set of caps I put on the '77 will take the full plug without having to screw off the end.
He said that with the 65 in the left cylinder he wouldn't have to lean that side out.

John was quite the tinkerer on these xs's.

Last edited:
When I picked up the '77, a couple of engines came with the deal, an '80 and an '81. The '81 had been rebuilt but when my mentor tried starting it up it sounded like it was a tooth off on the cam......still need to look into that. The '80, upon examination appeared to have had some new seals installed and was very clean. The cam guide in the '83 has finally seen its last day so I pulled the engine and threw the '80 on to see what we have.

We have the luck of the English, Scot, Irish, Welsh, Dane, Swede and Finn, is what we have. Got her in and fired right up.....sounds good but loud. Should have a couple of mikes Commandos delivered tomorrow and then back on the road for a check of the clutch and trans. A good idea on firing up an engine of unknown provenance is to pull a valve cover to ensure oil delivery. We're good to go.

chestnuts007_zps64eea257.jpg

Last edited:
The UPS guy showed up this morning with the Commandos, got them on these single wall Mac headers and I'm impressed. I believe it was 5Twins that said this is the way these bikes are supposed to sound.

Working on converting a '79 Special seat for the '83. The trimmed down fiberglass pan seat worked but would probably be best served on a Standard that has the straight line side covers......I couldn't get past that side cover gap on the Special. Got the '79 pan fabbed up with the '83 seat fork installed, added a couple of rubber bumpers strategically and have a couple of snap seals holding the rear down to the frame. Next is to strip the cover and foam off of it's present pan and transfer that over to the modded pan.

Starting to appreciate the stock seating for function over form......sitting up close to the tank with knees in sure gives me a Zen "one with the bike" feel. Better maneuverability on these hills and hollers, and for me that's what it's all about.

Threw the mags with a decent set of tires on the '83 and geared her to 18/34 while at it. Nice and torquey for the hills, hollers and twists. Out on the state highway cruising around 4k @ 55mph whereas the '77, still running 18/32 is around 3.5k @55.

magged001_zps8b17d6c9.jpg

'83 with the Standard tank and bars...'79 seat, shortened turn signals, lucas style taillight mounted conveniently on the '83 rear fender with a '77 front fender. I'll mention the Pamco Pete Special header mod with a set of Dunstall muffs....love the sound!
Toward the end of last season I started hearing a slap in the jugs....so it seemed. Checked out a spare engine that I'd gotten in a mixed bag purchase with the '77. Turns out that the engine was rebuilt 2 over and appeared to have never been ran. That just lowered the purchase price on the '77! I owe my mentor big time, but then again, what are true friends for?

Looks great no need to change anything but the oil now and then. Good choice on the exhaust. Looks good sound great. Nicely done bike loads of fun enjoy. :thumbsup:

Back