Rear Axel removal

mitchxc700

mitchxc700
Reaction score
I have a 1980 xs 650 bobber build. I slid the rear wheel off and i cant get the axel out. Is there lock collars or press fittings i dont know about? the disc break assembly is still on the axel as well.

Nope, it should slide right out. It may be rusted or corroded to some of the spacers. When you do get it out, lightly smear the entire length with grease before reassembly so this doesn't happen again.

Mine was stuck too. It turned out to be the axle adjuster. It was aparently over torqued and the 'washer' on the outside smashed down so much it didn't to come out, I only figured out the problem when trying to reassemble and the axle was an 1/8inch too big to fit through that one 'washer'. drilled it to the correct size.

On the stock axle adjusters the right side has a smaller hole on the outside. The axle is put in from the left. As it comes out on the right the threads are all that comes through the outside adjuster hole. The hole is smaller to fit the threads.
If you put the adjusters on the opposite sides to put the axle in from the right, the mark one the adjuster you use to line up the wheel will be on the bottom. The right side adjuster only has one mark.
Drilling out the hole isn't the best thing to do. If you are using a hard tail with too thin an axle plate then washers to fill the gaps would be better, adding another layer of steel to the axle plates to get them as thick as stock will even be better.
Getting the people that build hardtails to use the right thickness of plate to start with would even be better.
Leo

Back