Rear axle puller correct position

solidstateirons

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, here is a dumb and quick question, since i skipped the process of putting everything aside in the right order, im asking here haha!

I would like to know the exact order of all the components on the rear axle. Specially, the axle puller to give tension to the chain.

There is like a washer welded to one side of the puller, does that part goes in or out, also, do i need an extra washer on each part of the axle?

Please HELP!
IMG_1384.JPG

You will notice the tension has an inner and outer hole (the washer piece)
They are different diameters.
So, the axle can only fit through one side as the threaded portion is a smaller diameter than the solid axle itself.
One tensioner will have 2 holes of equal diameter, while the other has 2 holes of different diameters.
This is explained in the manual also.

Thanks for your explanation, but both of my tensioners have the same diameter. Literally when i put the axle aside and i slide both tensioners, they both go thru without a problem, if one tensioner would have a smaller hole, that would be the one that stays stuck but both go thru.

The nut you have is incorrect also. It needs to be a castle nut to provide a plce for the cotter pin. You dont want to lose an axle nut at speed.
The tensioner you have pictured is the one with the smaller hole. Take a look at it. If the axle goes through that one, than you have an axle that is too small. Another extremely dangerous thing. Good way to die.

Does it fit the wheel axle? Should be a tight fit. Not hard to push through but doesnt wobble.
All these parts need to be solid. Loose fits are deadly.

Well, if its snug, than tighter it down. Just get a castle nut and make sure the axle is even and the wheel is straight. That little slot in the op of the tensioner is for the stock swingarm to even the axle.

Looks like you have a custom set-up there. Hardtail I presume? It won't be like stock. I can see by your pic that the adjuster has been bent in some so it fits the frame plate. The washer side with the little notch goes to the outside and faces up, just like in your pic. On a stock swingarm, there are a bunch of slash marks on the arm for alignment purposes. Looks like the builder left them off yours.

The stock axle is 20mm in diameter. Yours being a custom, it could be anything. You may not have a 650 wheel or maybe bearing sizes were changed. You could have extra washers added for spacing. On a custom, they do whatever works so you're pretty much on your own when it comes to figuring out what goes where. Nobody knows but the guy who built it.

Looks like you have a custom set-up there. Hardtail I presume? It won't be like stock. I can see by your pic that the adjuster has been bent in some so it fits the frame plate. The washer side with the little notch goes to the outside and faces up, just like in your pic. On a stock swingarm, there are a bunch of slash marks on the arm for alignment purposes. Looks like the builder left them off yours.

The stock axle is 20mm in diameter. Yours being a custom, it could be anything. You may not have a 650 wheel or maybe bearing sizes were changed. You could have extra washers added for spacing. On a custom, they do whatever works so you're pretty much on your own when it comes to figuring out what goes where. Nobody knows but the guy who built it.

Yes its a hardtail and I did get it from someone else. It does look like the tensioner got bent to sit flat on the frame, I will look into adding washers to compensate for the space that needs to be covered. I have to go on a hunt for that castle nut and pin. Gotta find the size cause its metric and my local hardware store doesnt carry any of that.

Buying a used original would probably be easiest. You might try contacting gggGary, he's got lots of parts.

Two adjusters and nut on the way. your adjusters have all four holes the same because the axle is "too long" for the hardtail setup so the PO drilled the small hole from 17mm out to 20mm (.787" AKA 3/4" and some wobbling of the drill bit) then added washers til the nut would tighten it all up. Typical DIY stuff. You will have the same problem with the adjusters I sent. Maybe if you get washers inside the adjusters it will fit, BUT then the adjuster screws will no longer center on the back of the hardtail plates and will get bent to crap...Guess I shoulda gone looking to see what was up when you mentioned I was tagged in a thread. I recall that trav sells doublers to be welded on the hardtail plate to build the thickness they could be DIYed with strap steel and a welder also. Usually the axle spacers will be MIA or cut down, when the hardtail is welded on the legs tend to suck together. They should be heated with a torch and spread till everything aligns and the spacers fit, but that's seldom done. Many just start stacking 3/4 washers, Shrug

solidstateirons "Yes its a hardtail and I did get it from someone else. It does look like the tensioner got bent to sit flat on the frame, I will look into adding washers to compensate for the space that needs to be covered."

2m hard tail with typical thin plates.
SSI may need to use extra washers under the nut so the slots line up with the cotter pin hole.
SSI; drum or mag rear wheel? pics from a bit further back might help us help you sus this out.

Back