Rear Axle Question??

daymay801

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I'm currently building up an 81 Special w/ TC Bros hardtail and all the parts are coming off an xs that someone turned into a chopper and all but destroyed that frame in the process.
I went to put the rear tire on today and found that the spacing is wrong and the axle is about 1/2" too short, does this mean it is an older axle off of a pre 74' model?
Does anyone know the length of the oem axle for newer models? The axle I have now is 10 inches in length if that helps determine what one I currently have.
Thanks,
Day

must be a slow day. I have one from an 80 that is right around 11", I had to cut the nut off so its not exact.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll order a newer axle and just hope that it's long enough haha
I'm thinking that the one I have is the old one.

I have an 81 H model axle and wheel assembly here - let me measure it for you and get back to you later today - I have the spacers too - maybe that is the issue?

It is not unusual, once welded on, for hardtails to have a wider or narrower distance between the lugs than the stock swing arm. Use a chunk of 3/4 threaded rod and a couple of nuts and washers, adjust and center as needed. I suppose that heating the hardtail legs or a BFH would help "set" the new spread distance.

OK I know this is probably too late but I'm posting it just in case in the future someone does a search. My 72 rear axle is total overall 10.25" and the axle shaft itself including the threads is 9 7/8"

Back