Rear Shock Mount Clean up

Rev D

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooo, wondering how I can set up a cleaner rear shock mount on an xs. I've seen pictures and all but I want to be sure what I'm doing is strong enough if I'm messing around with my shock mounts. I really want to simplify it, the stock ones are both a little unsightly , and I really like some of the cleaner chop work I've seen.

My end game is to curve the seat rails to match the backbone angle and chop off the tail on the rear, but retain the stock mount hight, just cleaner.

I'm trying to make a game plan, and the bike is already disassembled so I want to start soon :D I'm waiting on removing the engine for a rebuild until I sort my frame, don't want to have to weld by a newly painted/polished engine!

Anyone do this, have some technical advice?

I have a 79 special if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all your guy's awesome advice, feel a bit like I'm peppering this forum with questions, but I want to do it right!

Are you talking about the upper, lower, or both shock mounts? I've done something like what you are saying using the lower shock mounts from another bike for my upper shock mounts...

I don't really have any better pictures than this, but here you go anyway.

finalseat.jpg

That's the second time I've redone the seat rails and I'm still not happy with them.. Going to do them again soon.

Hi guys, just in regards with cutting the rear loop off the frame.......(as above pic)
Do you need to add a brace between the 2 top shock mounts to eliminate any flex?
or is it fine just to cut the loop out and leave it be?

Cheers, Steve

On the top end of the mount I cut mine just south of the gusset, with no cross brace (it doesn't look like you need one).

I was going to make it rounded with some welding and Bondo but I'm pondering using the two tube holes like receiver hitches. I could make a removable backrest and/or luggage rack to slide in there for longer adventures, then take it off when the mood afflicts me.

Ya hI was initially thinking about doing th whole modular rear end to Kent, but the more I look at it the less likely I would be happy with how much support it would have.

I am talking about the upper ones Travis.

The seat rails are an interesting problem too, as I'm relatively tall for this bike and want to put my butt as far back as I can, so my new plan is to map out where the shocks mount at the top, remove the rear loop, seat rails, and shock mounts, bend the lower tubing the runs up to the shock mounts backwards and then add whatever pipe Iwould need to bring it back up to the right height. Then I'll run a thicker wall pipe as a cross piece and attach the threaded mounts to the end of that pipe.

That might make no sense now, but I'll draw it up soon:)

Back