Rear signal mount detail pics/info needed(stock)

Pat D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So my bike is a '74, though it has had various tins and other peripheral parts replaced prior to my getting it. The hollow threaded stud broke on the right rear blinker, so I need to either run one down or get a whole unit. My question comes from looking at the various exploded views and pics, I'm not sure mine are mounted correctly. With the extra parts shown in the exploded views to deal with various luggage racks and grab handles, I'm not sure how the basic installation setup goes. Mine seem to work out OK and look right, but there is an issue.

The issue is with the rear blinkers rotating from parallel to the ground(facing directly to the rear) to about 15-20 degrees up in the course of a few hours riding. The escutcheon(the chrome piece that sits in the frame mount tab and holds the blinker stem) has a tab that should fix the position of the blinker. But the slot on the blinker stem is so wide it allows the stem to rotate the aforementioned 15-20 degrees. So the question is, do I have the wrong escutcheons, the wrong stems(my lenses are red, I don't think red came on the '74), or are the slots in my stems just plain worn out? They don't look worn or broken. No matter how much I tighten them down, they still eventually rotate.

Bottom line, I would like to deal with this rotation issue at the same time as dealing with the broken stud, I'm not worried about having a "correct" bike, but I would like to stick with stock parts or repro for the stock look. And the lens color, is orange or red correct for a '74? And, of course, if anyone has what I need and wants to do some business, let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0456.jpg
    IMG_0456.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 257
That slot on your signals looks a little wide. Mine measures right at 1/8".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 241
If you look at the stem of the signal you will find a notch in the stem. Grinder gave you a spec on the width. This notch lines up in the escutcheons on the ridge in the groove the stem seats in. If the ridge is worn, and the notch is worn, the signal will turn.
The way you have it together looks ok but I would put the ground wire under the nut and lock washer, not under the big washer.
The red lense is stock on the 74/75.
Leo

If you look at the stem of the signal you will find a notch in the stem. Grinder gave you a spec on the width. This notch lines up in the escutcheons on the ridge in the groove the stem seats in. If the ridge is worn, and the notch is worn, the signal will turn.
The way you have it together looks ok but I would put the ground wire under the nut and lock washer, not under the big washer.
The red lense is stock on the 74/75.
Leo

Cool deal, thanks guys. Pay no attention to the order of the washers and wire in the pics, that's just the way it went together on the bench to keep all the bits together.

Your mount may have been modified, sort of streamlined, and that might explain why the stud broke off. Usually, the turnsignal doesn't act as the fender mount. There's a small bracket attached that the signal mounts to. The fender mount gets a stronger bolt. You can see the missing bracket in this parts diagram (#20 & #21) and pic .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y.../FLASHER LIGHT TX650A - XS650B - C/parts.html

https://california49.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/p1020819.jpg

The fender and bracket is attached with a special shouldered bolt (#17) .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y... - REAR FENDER TX650A - XS650B - C/parts.html

I tried hanging a rear turnsignal off just its stud on another bike once. It didn't last long before it broke off.

Your mount may have been modified, sort of streamlined, and that might explain why the stud broke off. Usually, the turnsignal doesn't act as the fender mount. There's a small bracket attached that the signal mounts to. The fender mount gets a stronger bolt. You can see the missing bracket in this parts diagram (#20 & #21) and pic .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y.../FLASHER LIGHT TX650A - XS650B - C/parts.html

https://california49.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/p1020819.jpg

The fender and bracket is attached with a special shouldered bolt (#17) .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y... - REAR FENDER TX650A - XS650B - C/parts.html

I tried hanging a rear turnsignal off just its stud on another bike once. It didn't last long before it broke off.

Excellent, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had looked at the parts diagrams and seen those brackets, but couldn't visualize how they would play into my setup. This jives with my observations that this bike was laid down at some point in time. The front fender isn't even Yamaha, the left side is missing the seat hold down, helmet lock, one of the side cover tabs, and one of the foot peg studs is ground down quite a bit. I guess whoever put the bike back together lost those brackets or decided they were unnecessary. I don't think the tabs have been modded, they look too clean and proper.

The bike in the pic is a great illustration, near as I can tell it is pretty much stock, but what's the deal with the enrichener? Carb swap at some point? If I got some decals for my bike, they'd be a pretty close match. I've attached pics of my frame tabs during rebuild, the current turn signal mount setup, and the bike as it sits today.

Attachments

• IMG_9695.jpg
    IMG_9695.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMGP0421.jpg
    IMGP0421.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 227
Yes, the bike in the linked pic has a set of later BS34s swapped onto it. You've done a very nice job of fixing that bike up, just a few missing little parts now. You might try contacting gggGary for them. He should have the brackets and also the special shouldered fender mount bolts. Also note they're capped with a nice chrome acorn nut and there's a grommet for the frame hole.

Back