Rebuilding my 1979 XS650 Engine and need help.

Lucky1963

XS650 Member
Reaction score
First I have the top end apart and I need to know as long as I am in here what things need replacing other than what I can see? Someone told me about some plastic parts that I should replace but I can't remember what parts. One of the cilnders has a line in it that I can feel my buddy said it was there because it sat so long do I need to have it honed or bored? What things would you do if you were me???I am dyslexic some writing is vary hard for me. I hope this makes scene.
Jack

Its apart, hone it, and new rings. New valve stem seals, they dont age well when not get oil to them. Lap valves while the springs and retainers are off.

You were probably told to replace the timing chain guides. Might as well. Or you can go cheap and end up where I did...

Oil change obviously, replace the crush washers after pulling the drain plugs. See my answer above.

Rebuild the carbs (its easy).

Thank you. I have new mikuni carbs, clutch rebuilt with springs ect., Boyer Ignition, new regulator,coil. Just nothing in the engine.
Ok so is that it?
Jack

p.s., for someone with dyslexia, your typing is awesome brother. you type better than half of us anyway ;) lol. best of luck with your rebuild!

Hay thanks that means a lot. The hardest part is trying to spell. Sometimes I can't even get it close enough for spell check then I spend for ever trying to find the correct spelling or come up with an alternative word.
Jack

sometimes i have the same problem and i'm a writer, english major in college, and a well-known local journalist lol

It is not a problem until I have to paper work at the college. I do have a great voice recognition program at the college.

Jack R. Slentz, M.A., M.F.A.
Associate Professor of Sculpture
The School of Arts and Design
Santa Fe Community College

Back