Rebuilt motor break-in opinions

79Standard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So, I recently had my XS rebuilt and will finally be going to pick it up next week. Problem is, the bike is a straight shot down the highway about 50 miles from me. I don't have a way to tow it back, so I'll be riding it home. I've read about the various break in methods, and neither of them really apply to my situation.

Anything I can do differently on my trip back other than 50 miles at highway speeds? If this is my only option, how screwed will I be?

No way to take side streets? General wisdom (from what I've read) is to avoid the steady RPMs of highway riding.

I know it's 50 miles and it'd take a while, but if you gave yourself the time you could use that mileage to enact the break-in method of your choosing.

The first few miles are the most critical miles of the engine. If done poorly then the engine won't perform at it's best or last as long.
Leo

You talking I-35? Yeah, that's a bear. Fresh rebuilds can get very hot during initial breakin.

Not sure what all work was done, but, if you want to be conservative:

Break-down the first part of your return trip into short segments, say 2-3 miles each. Allow the engine to cool to warm feel before restarting.

If you sense that the engine is getting less hot during these short hops, then you can extend the segments to a few miles. As it continues to run less hot, extend the segments...

Would you want to be considering retorqing the head during one of those cool down stops?

I built a lot of motors and the first 1/2 hour with the bike up to heat is important. I build race motors and they go right to the track with 1/2 hour run on them. What I would do if you want to try first. Drive the bike around the area of the shop for about 45 mins and then head back to shop. Shut the bike down look for leaks or over heating problems and if all good . Take it home. Lower RPM in 4th or 5th gear is going to break it in fine. Low speed under 60mph. If the builder is a good builder he already started it and ran it. I use to have a roller at the shop and a big fan and run them for temp to get up and run them thru the gears on the roller. BUT I would double check tork spec. after a couple days of riding. Do it when motor is cold.
Have a great ride
Rich

You could always do the neighborhood streets as recommended, then just take every exit on the highway to avoid a monotonous drone of steady rpm. You can vary your speed in your own lane without jacking up traffic all around you. Just try to do it in as light traffic as is possible. That's what I done when I picked up my SV650.

If you are really worried about how it was built or just breaking it in the way you want. RENT a van from ENTERPRISE. I do it all the time its around $65.00 for 24 hours and there is no charge for miles. I have rented them and went three states to pickup bikes and no worry plus no wear and tear on my truck and trailer. I don't know TEXAS roads only been there once to race. Is the 50 mile road 70 MPH speed limit and danger curves or just a straight shot that you can putt 45mph down the road.

You could buy AAA plus, $125/yr...towing up to 100 miles and covers bikes, RV's, etc. I use them for all roadside issues. But when ever I need to tow stuff...Last Fall I had them tow my '69 VW to get some paint work done about 45 miles away...there is nothing wrong with my VW, but this way I could follow in my truck and get myself home, since I didn't have anyone that day that could help.

Thanks for all the replies. It's a straight shot down a 70mph highway. I35 from New Braunfels to Austin to be exact.

I don't know why you wouldn't go to Driftwood to Wimberly, then out around Canyon Lake, then back in to New Braunfels. Are you a city boy? Because there are fantastic roads to the west of 35 down there.

Back