red hot pipes

Lol at short question:) I would imagine that you are expelling some flames with your exhaust gases, seen it on tunes up cars that are expelling unburnt fuel into hot pipes.

What have you checked, done so far?
Red hot pipes,Reply; It's a 1975 xs650, I got it 3 weeks ago. no wiring on it everything in boxes, what I bought was a roller. When I got it home I wanted to see if I could start it up and work from there. I ran the necessary wiring, checked valve setting, cleaned the carbs, cleaned points and set cam chain tention, sprayed some starting fluid in it and hit the button. It started and I kept it running with the choke, it got to the a point to were I could rev it up,Thats when I noticed the left pipe look very hot, I had to look real close see a red glow on the left pipe but it was there the right side wasn't to bad but still hot. It did blow a lot of black soot out the 2 into 1 pipe. I checked the plugs and they were dry. Anyway I pulled the carbs back off and re-cleaned them. I was thinking maybe adjust needle valve from 3rd slot to 4th slot. If that don't work I'm lost. Thanks for the help. Fred Calvert

How about compression? I agree that fire makes them hot. With no expertise I would suggest excess fuel OR exhaust valves that aren't sealing. perhaps carbon on the seats? I haven't tried this (wish I had on a GS1100 I have torn down) but adding (just a little) water into the intake of a running engine will flush out a lot of carbon. With 2 into one pipes on the bike the odds of way off jetting are pretty good.

Thanks for info; 1st I will check compression if it's not good I will try the water thing, if it's still bad should I plan on pulling the head and lapping the valves. I couldn't fine my comp. gauge the day after the start up but comp. seemed to be good off my thumb on the hole. are far as excess fuel I am confused about that cuzz the plugs were so dry. this motor hasn't been srarted for years.So I was thinking I didn't clean the carbs good enough and it is running lean, But 1st things 1st I will start with comp. test with a new gauge Thanks Fred Calvert; P.S. I won't be able to work on it till Wednesday, Got to work my real job. Anyway I will let you know were I'm at Thursday or Friday Ok so don't forget about me...

its got compression or it wouldnt be running, your not to concerned with how much it has at this point, some motors have more than others due to use and age and condition, but it runs so get passed the compression part, start looking at fuel and air mixture. You need to look at the plugs, they will tell you lean or rich conditions. I would bet money on them looking white-ish or the left being whiter than the other side. The carb could need cleaning on the left, it could be an air leak (vacuum) on the rubber intake that holds the carb or the mating surface to the head, if the carb is clean and its sucking in air, it would lean the mixture and still run.
me personally, I would check plugs.
Excess fuel will not make them run red unless the motor is built to make wicked compression and power and then you know its gonna do that on an extended run up. If we are talking a stock motor, and we are, then a red pipe means LEAN, not enough fuel. You can richen these motors up so much that it will wash the cylinders down and never make enough power to run the pipes red. Run it lean for a second and see what the pipes do.

its got compression or it wouldnt be running, your not to concerned with how much it has at this point, some motors have more than others due to use and age and condition, but it runs so get passed the compression part, start looking at fuel and air mixture. You need to look at the plugs, they will tell you lean or rich conditions. I would bet money on them looking white-ish or the left being whiter than the other side. The carb could need cleaning on the left, it could be an air leak (vacuum) on the rubber intake that holds the carb or the mating surface to the head, if the carb is clean and its sucking in air, it would lean the mixture and still run.
me personally, I would check plugs.
Excess fuel will not make them run red unless the motor is built to make wicked compression and power and then you know its gonna do that on an extended run up. If we are talking a stock motor, and we are, then a red pipe means LEAN, not enough fuel. You can richen these motors up so much that it will wash the cylinders down and never make enough power to run the pipes red. Run it lean for a second and see what the pipes do.
+1 on lean. Rich is cool running. (unless you have a catalytic converter, they don't like that). Maybe a vacuum leak. Are you running it with the air filter/s on?

From hot pipe; no I have no air filtes at this time. Just trying to get it running without killing it at this time. I have re-cleaned the carbs, before I reinstall em should I raise the needle 1 notch??? Also what is the best way to check for air leaks? I was going to spray carb cleaner around the manifolds.I am also going to check the timing before my 2nd start. Thanks Fred Calvert

I wouldn't get ahead of yourself here. Leave the carbs as is and install the filter/s. I it running without the choke? I'm assuming you're just running it and not riding it. Take a look at the plugs with the filters on. Look like light brown? The real test will be riding it. Real world operation, you know? BTW, You can look for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner, but I don't recommend it, as it is combustible. Water works OK, causes a stumble.

Back