reg/rec I think I got it, what ya think

Theben

XS650 FNG
Reaction score
Ok first off I forgot to introduce myself before.. The name is Ben and this is my firs build. Ihave been lurking for a while.. tow builds lined up.. first is a 73 with 750 big bore.. I have most of the fab done minus foot controls.. was looking at my box of parts that came with this "good deal" 73.

So I have searched and looked and I think I have this down. My reg/rec combo does not have the matching color wires as a lot of the posts.. so here is my take on it.

Two wire terminals. first one has....three yellow, one white and one black..

I believe it should go like this..

1. three yellow to the alternator. White to the battery, black to ground.

Second termnal has black red green..one each. I belive it should go like this.

2.green to posative side of brush,,black to to ground and negative side of brush,,, red to power lights and assessories.

any input woul be great.. I looked at pete's value reg rec combo... I like the price just do not know where to hid it on the bike at this point. thaks alot in advance.:shrug:

Attachments

• tx 650 002.jpg
    tx 650 002.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 143
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 159
From looking at the pics The one with the long wires looks to be a direct plug in to the 70 - 79 harness. The bigger plug should plug into the stator wires. The smaller right in where the regulator plugs in.
The one with short leads may be the same way.
Thats on the stock wire harness.

thanks leo
do you think my idea as to the wiring and the color swaping is correct? any one else want to chime in?? thanks

also with the "direct plug in" I need to use the plastic screws in the alternator??

The direct plug in for the 70-79 solid state does not need the nylon screws. If you have one from 80 up, then the stator needs to have the nylon screws.

littlebill, thats kinda what I thought too. I don't know of anyway to tell, unless the reg/rec has a manufacturer's or sellers name on it and you can contact them and ask.
At this point I might plug it into the stock plugs and see if it charges.

im using a 12v reg/rec from a kz750, im running tail/brake and headlight, kick only. I by passed the stator rotor assy using nylon screws from the hardware store. The bike starts, runs, and charges. there was a nice little video on youtube that I used for refference.

Sorry about that. Hello everyone, Im new rise, I enjoy long walks on the beach, gummy bears, and choppin the shit out of machines that roll. I have a great friend of mine wire all of my bikes and he has got it down to a science with points bikes if you are trying to eliminate a bunch of wiring and only want to keep the bare essentials. I am going to have him draw a diagram of how he did my 79 xs650 for everyone to see. As for my current build, I should hopefully be able to scoot it today as long as I can get the rear disc brake to work this morning. I rebuilt the caliper and put new fluid in and Im gonna go out there and pump away this morning. I will post some pics today of the chop. This site is great, I do apolagize for not properly introducing myself.

Sorry about that. Hello everyone, Im new rise, I enjoy long walks on the beach, gummy bears, and choppin the shit out of machines that roll. I have a great friend of mine wire all of my bikes and he has got it down to a science with points bikes if you are trying to eliminate a bunch of wiring and only want to keep the bare essentials. I am going to have him draw a diagram of how he did my 79 xs650 for everyone to see. As for my current build, I should hopefully be able to scoot it today as long as I can get the rear disc brake to work this morning. I rebuilt the caliper and put new fluid in and Im gonna go out there and pump away this morning. I will post some pics today of the chop. This site is great, I do apolagize for not properly introducing myself.

In a new thread.:thumbsup:

Back