Regulator/Rectifier Question/Thoughts

lidirtrider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all, Been a while but due to an injury and having some free time to kill, I finally got around to wiring my years overdue project.

My question isnt about HOW to wire the reg/rec. Plenty of good threads, and Hugh's directions for his PMA kit are pretty clear. So I know The red wire from the reg/rec goes direct to the battery, and the green is ground. The 3 yellows from the PMA got to the 3 yellows on the Reg/rec.

With my limited knowledge of electrical circuits, it seems like the Reg/Reg is getting constant power. My thoughts are that once the bike is started, the PMA sends current to the Reg/Rec, and thereby (in simple terms) turns the Reg/Rec on and off.

Otherwise it seem like it would always be "on" and potentially overheat or fail.

The terminology might not be correct, but is my logic on this on the right track?

LOL. Thanks Twomany. It just confused the hell out of me that something would would essentially be powered all of time since its direct to battery, and grounded, thus completing a circuit. But with my rudimentary thoughts, I guess its not as cut and dry.

Back