Removing Electric Parts

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
Ok, I am going to go starter-less. I have read many posts about this. However, I can't really find a lot on removing the electrical parts. What I can and cannot. I'm a little reserved on answering myself by using the diagrams in the manual. Lots of stuff.

I will be leaving the starter in for now until I buy the Block-Off kit. I plan to use the wiring diagram INXS posted in the wonderful, "Wiring Diagrams". Thanks to all for that. I want to use the second one down on his first post, but adding signals and a horn.

Anyway, for now, I want to get this nasty, crowding wiring off. I'm going to run the Red/Pos wire from the battery to the fuse panel, therefore omitting the starting system.

I know I can remove the safety relay and the solenoid...right? But what is the " ? " in my picture?

Attachments

• 122.jpg
    122.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 343
Yes I also would like to know more about this. Do you know of any good post about tackling this process? I am not using my starter on my bike I just use kick start. I also dont want my side covers on so i want to clean up all of these wires but I also dont want to remove something i shouldn't

I just ditched all of that stuff, just unplug things while your bike is running to find out if you really need it. That is what I did and all that stuff went into the trash, along with all the signals and "safety" things.

The relay with the "?" on it is the one that lets the starter run if the clutch is pulled. Other conditions for letting the starter run are caught elsewhere. You can remove it and connect the two red wires together and just tape up the other two wires and still use the starter if the bike is in gear - you'll just have to make sure the clutch is pulled yourself. You're removing the starter so it's a non-issue.

Last edited:
im assuming the safety relay has to stay on......sorry for all the question im just learning all of this stuff so I have some basic questions

The safety relay keeps the starter from running under any condition if the engine in running. Its neighbor relay on the same board turns the headlight on when the engine starts.

xschris, just noticed your from upstate ny. I'm from central ny. about 45 miles south east of Syracuse. Where you at?

If you are building a chop take the complete wiring harness off and you are only going to use a little bit from it. Depends on year of bike but most have REG REC and TCI box or you got points. Follow new wiring diagram and it all goes back easy. Do it in two Charging system first then light/horn/starter/etc.
If you need good diagrams contact me and i will send them out to you.

I had to keep everything, but the starter. Johnny law. The PO had taken everything off, so I had to put it all back on. I used this diagram, made a fuse box, added a kill, horn, signals. Looks good. Shortened some wires. I had another new harness so I canibalized it to keep the correct colored wires. I did it 4 times and am quite proud of how well I know my system now. I did it all myself as well. And of course with all the help on here.
I talked to a guy one day and he said, "Bring it to my shop. I'll do it for $200.00". I said, "Bring it to a shop to fix it??? Oh you must be mistaken. I don't own a Harley."

Attachments

• 650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    650wiringchoppervh0.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 178
So to remove the safety relay is just bolting it off and remove all the wires going to it?

Depending on the year the safety relay not only disables the starter, it also turns the headlight on. So looking at the wiring diagram for the year willhelpyou find what wires can just be left and which wires need to get hooked together to bypass the safety relay functions.

I think it is a 76 or 77, but it's a bitsa I've learned, so I am not really sure.

What you might want to do is remove all the stuff you don't want. Find a wiring diagram that has the things you want, rewire according to what you have.
There are many diagrams out there. I might start with a basic diagram, one that has the charging components you have, and the ignition you have.
Once you get that much done and right so it runs and charges then you can add the head and tail lights, brake light. turn signals, horn.
If you plan on using the electric starter I would reccomend using the safety relay, no matter how fast your thumb is it won't stop the starter when the engine starts as well as the safety relay. This saves wear and tear on the gears bwtween the starter and crank.
I like this one. It gives you the basic early bike system and the combo reg/recupgrade and the TCI ignition.
The Pamco can just plug in after the kill switch where the ignition goes.
It has the starter on there to so you can go either way.

Attachments

• 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 206
Back