Rephasing project for a 77 bobber

CoastsideXS650

Princeton Motor Works
Reaction score
Start of a 277 rephase project. Just finished splitting the cases.

I want 81mm pistons, oversize valves, ported head, mikes xs5th overdrive gear, streetworthy aggressive cam, Flatslide carbs with aluminum intakes.

More pics to come soon. Need to get in contact with Hugh so he can build be a proper crankshaft.

Attachments

• _MG_4083.jpg
    _MG_4083.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 462
  • _MG_4086.jpg
    _MG_4086.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 421
  • _MG_4087.jpg
    _MG_4087.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 365
  • _MG_4088.jpg
    _MG_4088.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 342
  • _MG_4090.jpg
    _MG_4090.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 346
I have a lot more pictures for this bike.

Here she is before I did any work to her. Old and crusty.

img_3424.jpg

Got my crankshaft rephased to 277 degrees from Hugh.

dsc0600.jpg

So I decided to do less of a hot rod motor this time around. I kept the stock pistons and camshaft. All new seals, rings, 5th overdrive gear, cam chain guide, and other goodies.

goodies.jpg

More parts waiting to be assembled

dsc0597.jpg

Here is the 5th overdrive gear next to the stock one

dsc0604.jpg

Bottom end bolts all lined up. Just cleaned up the stock stuff

dsc0623.jpg

New sump filter being fitted to some nicely cleaned surfaces.

dsc0624.jpg

dsc0610.jpg

Shes starting to come together with the bottom end put back together. Nice new rubber seals throughout the whole bike means no leaks on the road.

dsc0626.jpg

You can see the difference in height of the connecting rods showing the rephased crankshaft.

dsc0630.jpg

dsc0629.jpg

Starting to assemble the top end. Might as well start with the valve seats. One of them is lapped and the other is waiting. Its pretty obvious which is which.

dsc0632.jpg

Close up of lapping

dsc0634.jpg

dsc0637.jpg

Starting to assemble all of the top end parts and other things. Trying to keep it clean and rust free by keeping things in plastic bags.

dsc0640.jpg

Starting to assemble top end pieces

dsc0662.jpg

Valvetrain parts

dsc0650.jpg

And all put together

dsc0665.jpg

dsc0666.jpg

And now some more random top end parts with the rephased camshaft.

dsc0663.jpg

Top end bolts. I just took a wire wheel to the old rusty ones.

dsc0664.jpg

Mr Riggs did my camshaft rephase. I am very pleased with his work and he was quick and accommodating. I would recommend using him for services.

dsc0656.jpg

Top end getting put together

dsc0668.jpg

Got an electronic ignition from PamcoPete. Very nice stuff here

dsc0675.jpg

And I finally got to start mocking up my frame. I have been doing a lot of grinding on this bad boy and its starting to pay off.

The hardtail is a Dave Bird looped from LowBrow Customs. It is a 2 inch stretch and a 1 inch drop. I love the way its starting to look.

dsc0705.jpg

dsc0706.jpg

Subscribed! I'm doing a similar rephased engine but with a ported head, oversized titanium valves, 750cc kit and Web 59a cam. Will be using Pete's ignition as well.

I'm in the middle of an almost identical build, only a few steps behind you. Also, it's my first engine tear down.

Looks like you're planning to use as many original parts as possible, yes? Besides a rephase and freshened top end, unless guided otherwise, I'll only be replacing softparts (seals, gaskets, with rings, too) while leaving the hardparts (bearings, rods, etc) alone.

This sounds like your plan, too, eh? Anything a new engine builder, such as myself, should look out for?

lastly, I'd like to tackle the valve work but, being my first engine assembly, I'm a bit apprehensive and might drop it off at the machine shop a block away from my garage. Good idea, bad idea, stop worrying and just jump in and do it myself?

Thanks for the detailed updates. I'm tuned into this thread and your blog.

cheers and beers,
avenue.

This is not my first motor rebuild. It is the first time I have split the bottom cases on the xs650.

When you disassemble the bottom end be careful of the gear linkage between the starter motor and the crankshaft. There are lots of little pieces in there. If you are making it kick only you can just remove all of them while you are there.

When your cases are split take the time to really clean the inside and out of it too. You will be much happier with it.

When removing your transmission keep it all together and put it in a large plastic bag. Keep everything with a layer of oil on it and put it on the shelf. Don't touch it till you are ready for re-assembly.

With valves unless you install new valve guides or your motor is really beat I would do the work yourself. You just need a valve spring compressor tool and hand lapping sticks for the most part. Read up on here about how to do and and be clean and meticulous. Its easier than you think.

Replace all of your oil seals and prepare each surface as if you were going to run it without gaskets. Hand lap the jugs to the head. And clean any gunk off your random gasket surfaces.

awesome.

sounds about right.

I'm ditching the starter, all the associated gears, shafts, and swapping in a PMA. trying to keep it simple.

Thanks for the tips and detailed build thread.

Once I gather some photos, I'll be starting a build journal of my own.

avenue.

Any updates? My engine cleaned up, awaiting a few new parts, and ready for assembly.

keep us updated with your build. it's damn inspiring.

avenue.

I crashed my Buell last week and broke my leg in 3 places. So progress will be a bit slow on this guy for the moment. But on a plus note I did survive what I thought would be a fatal crash

IMO there are worse things than dying. Sounds like you're okay with the broke leg. Glad it wasn't anything worse. The project looks good. It looks like you're having fun. Keep at it,and keep us updated.

I crashed my Buell last week and broke my leg in 3 places. So progress will be a bit slow on this guy for the moment. But on a plus note I did survive what I thought would be a fatal crash

Glad to hear you are better than dead my friend. Stay positive and let us know if you need help.

Liking your build so far.

What tank is that?
Doesn't look quite like what i'm looking for, but looks good on there.

I just got back from the doctors yesterday. I have another month in crutches and then at least a month learning to walk poorly. Then many months of trying to walk better and run and such. Prob a year or two before full recovery.

The bike has made a little progress. I am installing my Dave Bird tail a little differently. I will post some new pics soon.

Back